If you have a D-Link or a Netgear network router, then chances are higher that you may consider memorising 192.168.0.1 IP address. It is the default IP address of D-Link, Netgear, TP-Link and other broadband ADSL or wireless routers. You can browse your network router admin dashboard just by pinging http://192.168.0.1 from any web browser.
It does not matter if your router is Wifi or wired since you have to wire directly to the router for first time configuration.
Broadband routers, such as D-Link or Netgear, has several options in their console or admin dashboard. Default IP address allows you to go directly into the core settings and change things like IP address, Parental Control settings, security preferences, SSID, Static routing, etc.
The look and feel of admin console or dashboard vary with different make network routers.
How to login to your router via 192.168.0.1
Even if you are not a network expert, it may be worth to understand the various options available inside the admin console. You never know, if someday you may require to troubleshoot your router. Nevertheless, it is quite easy to go inside the admin console with the help of default IP address.
If you do not have a laptop or a desktop, still you can configure network router on Wi-Fi, if at all that option is there. For this, you can use your smartphone or tablet pc. Make sure to be on the same network as your router.
Let us see the steps to connect to your network router:
- You have to type in http://192.168.0.1 in the web browser address bar. You can use any browser such as internet explorer, chrome, Mozilla, etc. Also, you are free to use any operating system to execute this step.
- A login screen will appear in front of you. You have to enter your login credentials. If you are logging for the first time, then the default username and password could be ‘admin’. Sometimes, there is the only username as ‘admin’ and password is blank. You should change the default username and password for security purpose.
- After username and password validation, you will enter in the router’s console. Here you will find several options such as wireless, DHCP, network, etc. In case you have doubt, read the user manual which comes default with the router.
Unable to access router with its default IP address?
If you are not able to access your router after entering its default IP address, then you are probably facing below problems:
- It could be as simple as your router IP address could be other than 192.168.0.1. Why not try other default IP addresses such as 192.168.1.1, 192.168.2.1, etc. Otherwise, you can check the IP details in the user manual or move ahead I will teach you how to check IP address of any router.
- In between hardware could be the issue. For instance, check the Interconnecting cables. Check the router healthiness by making sure if all the LED lights are glowing as intended or not. If required, restart the router.
- Every network router comes with a detailed user manual. This user manual has troubleshooting steps. Go through it, in case you do not know what to do.
Why only 192.168.0.1?
The default IP address of any router is a private IP address. Every private IP address is different from public IP address. You cannot use private IP address as public IP address. Neither you can use public IP address as private IP address.
There is a defined range of private IP addresses, and 192.168.0.1 is one of them. IANA (The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) has defined the range of private IP address as below:
- 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
- 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
- 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
How to check the default IP of a router?
If you want to check your router default IP, then you either follow some steps or can randomly make popular guesses. The most popular choices are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.1. But if you run out options, then it’s better to look for yourself by following below steps:
If you are on a Windows platform
If you are on Windows platform then follow below steps:
- Click ‘Run’ or search in the start menu and type ‘cmd.’
- CMD will open the command prompt.
- Type ‘ipconfig/all’
- You will see a bunch of IP addresses. One of them will mention as ‘Default Gateway’ IP Address, and that will be the IP address of your router.
If you are on a Macintosh platform
If you are on Macintosh platform then follow below steps:
- Open system preferences by clicking Apple icon (left top side of the screen).
- Click and look for Network option.
- You can see the router IP address as below
- But if you cannot see the IP address then click ‘Advance’ button.
Above steps are even valid when you are not on the wireless network and directly wired to the router.
Various router’s make which has default IP address as 192.168.0.1
|Different make routers which can have default IP address as 192.168.0.1|
Can you change your default IP?
Of course, you can modify the default IP of your router. But the IP should be from the IANA defined range. Also, make sure that you do not use the router IP anywhere in the private network to avoid IP conflicts.
Just log in the router’s dashboard and look for Network/LAN section. Here you can set IP address other than 192.168.0.1
Try above steps and let me know if you face any difficulty in below comment section.