192.168.1.1 is the default IP Address of your broadband router such as Digisol, Linksys, etc. You can quickly setup your network router by entering this IP from your desktop internet browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.
You have to be on the same network on which your network router is connected. However, the connection could be either wired or wireless.
If someone else has set up your network at your home or office, then probably you may not be aware of IP address of your broadband router.
But it is must to know what is the IP address of your broad router. You do not want to end up setting up the same IP address of any other networking device on the same network.
Moving forward, we will learn – how to browse your router dashboard from your networked device, how to set up SSID, etc.
Why only 192.168.x.x
Some of you may ask why the default IP of network router only begins with 192.168.x.x? Any router’s default IP Address is from a range of private IP addresses, which starts from 192.168.0.0 and can go up to 192.168.255.255.
IANA (The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) has provided the following IP address range for use as private IP addresses:
- 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
- 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
- 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
Private IP Address is different from public IP address. You cannot use public IP address as private IP address for your private home or office network.
How to connect to your router via 192.168.1.1?
Usually, you connect to your ADSL or wireless router during setup or when you want to troubleshoot your router. Also, you do not have to be a technical nerd to know how to connect to your network router.
The good news is that if you are on a wireless network, then you can even log into your wifi router via your smartphone or notebook. The steps are pretty easy.
- Key in https://192.168.1.1 in the browser. You can use any browser and any operating system to execute this process.
- You will see the login screen as shown below. Enter the username and password. The default username and password are ‘admin’ and ‘admin’. Sometimes, the default password is blank or no password. However, for security purposes, I recommend you to change this after the first login.
- There are many options available on the router dashboard. You can perform activities inside the router per requirement.
Connection issues with a network router
If you are not able to connect to your router then probably you are facing issues as below:
- Maybe your router’s address is not 192.168.1.1 but something else. Not every router has this IP address. Check the back side of the router or the user manual for IP details.
- Check the network cable or the connection. Also, make sure the router is turned on.
- I recommend you to go through the user manual of the router. Many times, user manual has guidance when you face connection issues with your router.
How to check your router’s default IP?
If your router default IP is not 192.168.1.1, then you can other popular default choices, which are 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.2.1. And if you run out options then its better go hit few buttons to check out the IP itself.
For Windows users
If you are a Windows user then follow steps as mentioned below:
- Click ‘Run’ or search in the start menu and type ‘cmd.’
- CMD will open the command prompt.
- Type ‘ipconfig/all’
- You will see a bunch of IP addresses. One of them will mention as ‘Default Gateway’ IP Address, and that will be the IP address of your router.
For Mac users
If you are a MacBook user then follow steps as shown below:
- Click the Apple icon and open system preferences.
- Click and open Network.
- You can see the router IP address as below
Above steps are even valid when you are not on the wireless network and directly wired to the router.
Various router’s make which has a default IP address as 192.168.1.1
|Different make routers which can have default IP address as 192.168.1.1|
How can you change your router’s default IP?
You can very well modify the default IP of your Linksys, Digisol or any other router from 192.168.1.1 to something else. I would recommend you to follow the range of 192.168.x.x.
Just log into the dashboard and browse LAN section. Here you can change the default IP to something else. Simple! Isn’t it?