If you are using broadband routers like Asus, Belkin, Microsoft, Siemens, Edimax, etc., then chances are higher that you may require 192.168.2.1 IP address now and then. 192.168.2.1 is the default IP Address for most of the home or business routers to access administrator panel.
You can be wired directly to the router or can be on the wireless or Wi-Fi network for accessing the router through its IP address. Broadband router console or admin dashboard has a bunch of parameters to play around per your need. You can set the IP address, security preferences, SSID, IP filtering, etc.
However, the look and feel of router dashboard may be different from a manufacturer to manufacturer.
How to connect to your router?
You have to connect to your ADSL or wireless router for setup and troubleshooting purposes. Even if you are not a network expert, then also you can easily go inside the router’s console with the help of default IP and configure basic things like IP address, SSID, etc.
Interestingly, even if you do not have a laptop or a desktop, you can set up network router via your smartphone or tablet pc. But make sure that you are on the same network as the router on Wi-Fi.
Let us see the steps to connect to your network router:
- Enter https://192.168.2.1 in the browser address bar. You can use any browser and any operating system to execute this step.
- Immediately, a login screen will appear in front of you. You will be required to enter your login credentials. If you have never altered the login details, then most of the time the default username and password is ‘admin’ or username as ‘admin’ and password as blank. I always recommend changing the login credentials after the first login.
- After you enter the router’s console, you will find many options such as wireless, network, firmware, etc. You can perform activities per your wish. Do read the user manual if you are not familiar with the router.
Tip: Belkin routers have default address as “https://router” for the users’ convenience.
Connection issues with the network router
If you are not able to connect to your router after entering 192.168.2.1 in the browser, then you are probably facing below issues:
- Sometimes router manufacturer assigns different IP address for different models. So, there could be a possibility that your router’s address is not 192.168.2.1 but something else. Do check the IP details in the user manual or we will learn how to check IP details of any network router.
- Interconnecting cables or the connection could be the issue. Also, do check if the LEDs on your network router are glowing as intended.
- Your home router’s user manual has troubleshooting steps. It will be worthwhile to check that out.
Why only 192.168.2.1?
192.168.2.1 is an IP Address from a range of private IP addresses. Private IP starts from 192.168.0.0 and can go up to 192.168.255.255. IANA (The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority) has provided the following IP address range for use as private IP addresses:
- 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
- 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
- 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
There is a difference between a private IP address and a public IP address. You are not supposed to use public IP address as a private IP address and vice versa.
How to check your router default IP?
If your router default IP is not 192.168.2.1, then you can other popular default choices, which are 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1. And if you run out options, then its better go hit few buttons to check out the IP address of the default gateway.
If you are on a Windows platform
If you are a Windows user, then follow these steps:
- Click ‘Run’ or search in the start menu and type ‘cmd.’
- CMD will open the command prompt.
- Type ‘ipconfig/all’
- You will see a bunch of IP addresses. One of them will mention as ‘Default Gateway’ IP Address, and that will be the IP address of your router.
For Mac users
If you are a MacBook user, then follow these steps:
- Click the Apple icon and open system preferences.
- Click and open Network.
- You can see the router IP address as below
Above steps are even valid when you are not on the wireless network and directly wired to the router.
Various router’s make which has a default IP address as 192.168.2.1
|Different make routers which can have default IP address as 192.168.2.1|
Can you change your default IP?
Yes, you can change the default IP of your Asus, Belkin or any other router’s default IP address to something else. But the IP address should be necessarily from the IANA suggested IP range. I would recommend you to follow the 192.168.x.x range.
Just log into the dashboard and browse LAN section. Here you can change the default IP to something else. In case, if you face any difficulty, then do let me know in the below comment section.