The ancient Ayurvedic art of healing considers humans as a small universe, and hence, it deals with every individual’s life as a whole. Ayurveda recommends being in tune with nature and offers natural home remedies based on herbs and diet.
Such herbal remedies are mostly made out of common items which are readily available and so can be prepared at home. When herbal foods & drugs are taken, they naturally adjust in the body without disturbing our biological rhythm. They help in the recovery from ailment and do not cause any side effects.
Home remedies are safe and best for most of the common diseases if treated at the very initial stage. These remedies are prevalent in every Indian household and are used widely.
Ayurvedic home remedies prevent an ailment from turning into a complicated and full-blown disease. There are many remedies for every disease, but they should be used as per the severity of illness and as per your choice according to body type.
For simple problems like cough, cold, indigestion, etc. these are quite effective while in chronic disorders such as diabetes, hypertension, joint pain, etc. home remedies can be used along with necessary Ayurvedic treatment and daily medications.
Some of the following common problems can be dealt with home remedies quickly.
Home remedies for Acne
Acne or pimple is a common disorder which affects 80 to 90 percent of the teenagers, and it may persist throughout childhood. Ayurveda recommends several natural approaches that taken together or even individually should control acne.
- Boil powder of black pepper, bay leaf, cardamom and dry ginger in sesame oil. Filter and apply and massage it on the face. Do it after bath and at bedtime.
- Mix the powder of licorice and symplocos tree bark with water and apply it for 15 minutes before taking a bath
- A paste of pomegranate should be applied to the affected part twice a day
- Apply the paste of Margosa leaves and turmeric
- The paste of turmeric and sandalwood with rosewater or milk is healing for the skin
- Fry red lentil and make its powder. Add milk to it and apply on face for at least an hour. It helps to remove pimple spots and cleans the face
- Take a handful of mint leaves and extract its juice. Apply on face every night and wash it with water in the morning. It is a cheap and quick remedy to remove pimples and scars
- Drink half cup of fresh aloe vera juice twice a day
- Apply turmeric paste made with water, milk or cream gives a glow to the skin and removes acne as well as unwanted hair if used regularly
Home remedies for Heartburn / Hyperacidity
Heartburn or acidity is a very common problem nowadays due to our irregular dietary habits. But this is quite easy to control with some simple home remedies.
- Aloe vera juice with a pinch of baking soda gives immediate soothing relief
- In a cup of water add ten drops of lime juice, half teaspoon of sugar and one-fourth teaspoon of baking soda which results in an effervescent reaction. Drink it immediately to neutralize the acid in the stomach
- Mix fennel powder & sugar in a glass of water. This drink gives relief within 5 to 7 minutes
- Coconut water is useful in hyperacidity
- Eat pomegranate or drink 10 ml of juice twice a day
- Soak cloves, amla (Indian gooseberry) and rock candy in water overnight. Filter and drink twice daily for seven days
- One teaspoonful of Amla powder twice daily with water or even eating raw amla prevents acidity
- Eat one teaspoon of ghee boiled with cumin seeds with rice during meals
Home remedies for common cold & cough
All dread the common cold. It comprises multiple symptoms like sore throat, cough, runny nose, and headache. Usually, these symptoms subside in 5-7 days, but with some natural remedies, they can be treated quickly.
- Mix powder of long pepper, dry ginger, black pepper, and cinnamon equally with honey and take it three times a day
- Mix 10 drops of garlic juice in two teaspoons of honey and water. Take it 3 to 4 times a day for dry cough
- Boil 1 cup milk with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric & ¼ teaspoon of ginger and drink this at night. It will relieve the sore throat and dry cough
- Chewing cinnamon controls throat irritation and dry cough
- Boil cardamom, cloves and ginger in 2 glass of water for 15 minutes until only ½ cup is left. Take in every 3-4 hours to get rid of cough and flu
- Heat ginger and camphor in ghee (clarified butter) and massage it on the chest. It relieves from chest pain and helps in expulsion of phlegm
- Lick honey mixed with a pinch of powder of cloves 3-4 times a day to get rid of cough or chew cloves frequently
- Mix the powder of dry ginger, black pepper & long pepper with honey and eat it on a full stomach to treat congestion and drive out the cough
- The simplest remedy for sore throat is gargling. Ayurveda recommends using 1 cup of lukewarm water with ½ teaspoon turmeric and ½ teaspoon salt. Gargle with this water in morning and evening
- Make herbal tea of licorice, cinnamon, and ginger by boiling this mix in water for 10 minutes. It is very soothing in sore throat
- Boil 5 leaves of basil leaves in 1 glass of water till it reduces to ¼ part. This drink relieves from a cold and runny nose
- Put 1-2 gm of caraway seed powder in steaming hot water and inhale its vapor 2-3 times a day. It reduces nasal block
- Using coriander seed as herbal tea regularly prevents cold, cough, and problems related to digestion
Home remedies for constipation
Constipation is a universal problem now, maybe due to changes in lifestyle, including sedentary habit, junk food, stress, contaminated food, etc.
The commonly seen signs are infrequent stools, hard stools, or a sense of incomplete evacuation.
- Drinking one teaspoon of ghee with milk and sugar at bedtime improves bowel movements
- Triphala is the best Ayurvedic remedy for constipation. Infuse one teaspoon of Triphala powder in a cup of hot water for 5 minutes and drink at bedtime or early morning
- In the case of obstinate constipation take two teaspoons of castor oil in a cup of warm milk
- Take powder or juice of beel fruit (wood apple) daily morning on an empty stomach
- Always eat a half teaspoon of caraway seeds with a pinch of black salt after meals
- Take 1-2 tablespoon of psyllium seed husk with a glass of warm water at bedtime
- Don’t forget to eat fresh fruits, vegetables as well as whole grains high in fiber
Home remedies for diabetes
Diabetes has emerged as a global health hazard. It affects the metabolism, which increases the glucose level in the blood, and hence, it leads to long term damage and failure of various organs.
- Combination of 3 to 6 gm of Jamun (Indian blackberry) seed powder, mango kernel powder, bitter gourd seed powder, Gymnema/ cow plant leaves, and hellebore root powder is very useful in controlling sugar in blood and urine. Take it 2 to 3 times a day
- Mix turmeric powder with amla juice and take it in early morning
- Soak one tablespoon of fenugreek in water overnight and take in the morning on an empty stomach
- ½ tablespoon of Indian blackberry seeds powder twice a day reduces the excessive flow of urine and sugar in diabetes
- Keep water in a copper vessel at night and drink the water in the morning
- Include fresh vegetables and bitter herbs like Margosa leaf juice/ powder, Giloya (Tinospora), basil leaves, bitter gourd, garlic, fenugreek, onion, bay leaves, aloe vera, okra, turmeric, banana flowers, etc. in your diet
Home remedies for diarrhea (loose motions)
Diarrhea leaves every one weak and dehydrated and hence should be cured at the earliest. Diarrhea due to indigestion and infection can be managed at home itself.
- Mix a ½ teaspoon of fennel powder with a ½ teaspoon of ginger powder and chew this mixture for 2-3 times a day
- Psyllium husks can be used in diarrhea too. Take one teaspoon of psyllium husk mixed into fresh yogurt. This binds the stool and helps in correcting diarrhea
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of nutmeg, ginger powder with sugar and ghee. Eat this mixture for 3-4 times a day
- Chop bananas and add little ghee, a pinch of nutmeg and cardamom. Banana binds stool while ghee, nutmeg, and cardamom improves digestive fire
- A decoction of pomegranate fruit skin helps to check diarrhea. Plenty of fruit could also be eaten
- Blend yogurt with equal parts of water and add cumin powder & grated fresh ginger, and drink every 2-3 hours
- For the whole day eat cooked rice with fresh yogurt
- To prevent dehydration sip water combined with one teaspoon of sugar, salt and lime juice throughout the day
- For stomach ache take ½ teaspoon nutmeg powder with warm water. It reduces the motility of intestine thereby reducing pain
Home remedies for hypertension (high blood pressure)
If you experience pain in the head & neck, dizziness, difficulty in breathing, palpitation, and your blood pressure shoot above 130/90; then you have a high risk of hypertension.
These home remedies may not treat the problem entirely, but along with other Ayurvedic medicines, you should at least be able to reduce your dependency on your medicines. Regular practice of Yoga and Ayurveda can heal hypertension as well.
- Garlic is very effective in reducing blood pressure. Eating 2-3 raw cloves of garlic on an empty stomach in the morning will help significantly in decreasing high blood pressure
- Take a paste made of 1gm garlic mixed with a glass of fresh buttermilk
- Drink a glass of warm milk mixed with nutmeg powder
- Eating green lentil soup (dal) is good in hypertension
- Arjuna bark decoction is very much useful in hypertension
- Drink lots of fluids and eat fruits and vegetables having high water content like watermelon, cucumber, orange juice, coconut water
- Add a teaspoon of honey in a glass of warm water and drink in the early morning. It helps to reduce and regulate blood pressure
Home remedy for fever
According to Ayurveda, fever is due to the ama (toxins) moving in the body. Therefore it advises fasting to digest and eliminate ama. If one is not strong enough to fast, then he can take a few drinks and decoctions. Along with fasting, the following remedies can help in bringing down the fever.
- Drink decoction of coriander seeds mixed with sugar for 3-4 times a day
- Make basil tea by adding 5-7 leaves of basil and one teaspoon of coriander seeds & fennel and boil for 10 minutes. This will make you sweat and brings down your temperature
- Add equal parts of coriander & cinnamon and little ginger in hot water. Infuse for 10 minutes. Drink this in few hours
- A decoction of Giloya (Tinospora) is beneficial in fever
Home remedy for boils
Boils filled with pus could be quite painful, and repeated boils could be a sign of either diabetes or liver disorder. Constipation is a common cause of boils. It is better to treat them as soon as they are visible rather than waiting for them to grow and ripe.
- Rub asafoetida with milk and apply the paste locally. It helps to burst boils within 2 to 3 hours
- Apply a paste of margosa leaf powder and water on the boils
- Fry 5 garlic cloves in sesame oil and while it is warm add a little piece of camphor and apply on the affected area. This is very useful in boils, itching, etc.
- To squeeze out pus from ripened boil apply a paste of garlic or ginger
- Mix equal parts of turmeric; Margosa leaves, and lime powder in ginger juice and use daily on boils. It ripens boils quickly and gives relief from pain
- Apply a paste of sandalwood and turmeric powder
- Aloe vera is an effective cleanser. Take aloe vera gel daily three times a day
Home remedy for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
If you have skipped your meal and you feel dizzy while standing, or experience sweating, nausea, tremor then this is a sign that your blood sugar is low. By using some simple remedies, this condition could be overcome to some extent.
- Drink water and eat raisins for immediate effect
- Take some sweet juice like of pomegranate, sugarcane or orange
- Make a cup of licorice tea by boiling one teaspoon of licorice in 1 cup of water. This is an excellent remedy to increase the blood sugar level
Home remedy for indigestion
The dietary lifestyle being followed nowadays is the leading cause of our indigestion. Indigestion can cause gas, bloating, uneasiness, heartburn, and stomach ache.
- Eating slices of ginger wrapped in salt before taking every meal is one of the best solutions to prevent indigestion. Ginger stimulates gastric secretions and helps in proper digestion
- One teaspoon ginger juice added to buttermilk with salt & lemon relieves from stomach ache and indigestion
- Taking 1gm powder of caraway seeds with water reduces from the problem of flatulence and stomach ache
- Cinnamon is an excellent digestive spice. To treat indigestion take two teaspoons of cinnamon powder with water twice a day
- A decoction prepared from coarse powder of coriander with a pinch of ginger powder is effective in curing indigestion
- Before food drink 5-10 ml lime juice mixed with a pinch of salt and black pepper is an excellent stimulator of digestive fire
Over to you on home remedies
The above preparations are for mild condition but can also help in chronic cases if practiced regularly. In case you don’t get relief within 2-3 days of using these remedies, you should consult with a doctor.
Herbal medicine, due to its unique benefits, removes the defects from roots and hence takes time to show complete cure. Use the home remedies as prescribed, with your best judgment and try what sounds useful to you.
There is no need to use all of them. Try one remedy and observe how it works. If it doesn’t, then you may go with another one because each person is different and will react differently to each remedy. When in doubt, reach out to us.
|Was this article helpful?|
|Thanks for letting us know!|