Love watching musicals? Well, this is the perfect place to be. We have assembled for you a list of the best musical movies of all time. So get on your singing self and a mic and get ready to rock it.
To watch these movies online without paying anything, find them on these websites that let you watch free movies online. If you prefer watching on your Android/iOS tablets or smartphones, try these free movie apps.
1. Mary Poppins (1964)
- IMDB Rating: 7.8/10
- Movie Length: 139 minutes
- Director: Robert Stevenson
- Actors: Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, David Tomlinson, Glynis Johns
- Gross revenue: $102.2 million
An excellent musical movie of the legendary Julie Andrews where she plays the role of a Nanny. The film is both entertaining and fun to watch.
Mr Banks (David Tomlinson) has two very naughty kids who drive away all the Nannies that are assigned to them. Just then, Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews), a magical nanny comes to his rescue and fills the children’s lives with happiness and laughter; she also brings the father closer to his children.
2. My Fair Lady (1964)
- IMDB Rating: 7.9/10
- Movie Length: 175 minutes
- Director: George Cukor
- Actors: Audrey Hepburn, Rex Harrison, Stanley Holloway, Jeremy Brett, Wilfred Hyde-White
- Gross revenue: $72 million
A fun-filled musical movie that revolves around a flower girl named Eliza Doolittle (Audrey Hepburn) who is taken in by a phonetics professor named Henry Higgins (Rex Harrison). The professor bets his friend that he could turn her into royalty.
This film is my favourite musical movie filled with laughter as you watch Higgins change her little by little starting with her speech.
3. The Sound of Music (1965)
- IMDB Rating: 8/10
- Movie Length: 174 minutes
- Director: Robert Wise
- Actors: Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, Eleanor Parker, Richard Haydn
- Gross revenue: $163.2 million
This movie is one of the best musical movies ever made. The storyline, the songs and the casting is perfect.
It is the story of an aspiring nun named Maria (Julie Andrews) who is sent to the house a former naval officer Captain Georg von Trap (Christopher Plummer) who is also a widower as a governess to look after his seven very mischievous children. The children hate all the previous governesses and are mean to Maria as well but her jovial and kind self, wins them and the captain over and the two starts to fall in love with each other in spite of the captain being engaged to be married.
4. Grease (1978)
- IMDB Rating: 7.2/10
- Movie Length: 110 minutes
- Director: Randal Kleiser
- Actors: John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John, Stockard Channing, Didi Conn, Jeff Conaway
- Gross revenue: $394.95 million
This musical movie is based on a summer love affair between Danny (John Travolta) and Sandy (Olivia Newton-John) who leave thinking they’ll never meet again, but fate has something else in store for them. Watch as each moment and feeling is expressed through songs and music.
5. The Phantom of the Opera (2004)
- IMDB Rating: 7.3/10
- Movie Length: 143 minutes
- Director: Joel Schumacher
- Actors: Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, Ramin Karimloo, Patrick Wilson, Minnie Driver
- Gross revenue: $103.3 million
A unique and creative musical movie about a soprano singer named Christine (Emmy Rossum) who catches the eye of ‘The Phantom’ (Gerard Butler), an opera ghost. The Phantom scares and forces the cast to give the lead role to Christine, but while he falls in love with her, Christine falls in love with another named Raoul (Patrick Wilson). The Phantom plans on taking away Christine to be his eternal bride, will Raoul be able to stop him?
6. Sweeney Todd (2007)
- IMDB Rating: 7.4/10
- Movie Length: 117 minutes
- Director: Tim Burton
- Actors: Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman, Sasha Baron Cohen, Jamie Campbell Bower
- Gross revenue: $152.5 million
A dark musical movie based on the revenge of Benjamin Barker (Johnny Depp), a barber who lived a happy life with his beautiful wife and child until he was falsely accused and imprisoned by a judge who fell for his wife, Lucy. Benjamin is sent into exile and when he returns learns that his wife is dead and child treated like a slave.
7. Mamma Mia! (2008)
- IMDB Rating: 6.4/10
- Movie Length: 109 minutes
- Director: Phyllida Lloyd
- Actors: Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgard
- Gross revenue: $609.8 million
This musical movie is filled with songs by the famous group ABBA.
Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) is about to marry her love on an island in Greece. Her mother Donna (Meryl Streep) is getting everything ready for the wedding when suddenly three of her former potential love interests show up, and she finds out that Sophie invited them because she did not know who her father was.
8. Les Miserables (2012)
- IMDB Rating: 7.6/10
- Movie Length: 158 minutes
- Director: Tom Hooper
- Actors: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried
- Gross revenue: $441.8 million
Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) is a prisoner who is released on parole and runs away from Inspector Javert (Russell Crowe) to start a new life. He starts his own company but not long before the Inspector visits him.
9. Pitch perfect (2012)
- IMDB Rating: 7.2/10
- Movie Length: 112 minutes
- Director: Jason Moore
- Actors: Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, Anna Camp, Skylar Austin
- Gross revenue: $113.04 million
This is a musical movie about a group of acapella singers known as ‘The Barden Bellas’. The girls cover famous songs but one of their recruits Becca brings something new to the group.
10. La La Land (2016)
- IMDB Rating: 8.1/10
- Movie Length: 128 minutes
- Director: Damien Chazelle
- Actors: Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone, Rosemarie DeWitt
- Gross revenue: $445.6 million
La La Land is a modern take on musical movies with a hint of the 80’s.
Mia (Emma Stone) is an aspiring actress while Sebastian (Ryan Gosling) is a Jazz musician who falls in love but as their careers advance and start going in the right direction their love and career clash together putting them to the test and threatening to rip the two apart.
|Was this article helpful?|
|Thanks for letting us know!|