Infant care begins long before the eruption of the first set of teeth. While it may take at least six months for the primary teeth to erupt, symptoms of tooth eruption begin as early as four months of age.
Teething is a process by which the baby teeth erupt and break through the gums. Often during this time, a cheerful baby may seem uncomfortable, fussy, and irritated. (1)
During teething, the baby will grab anything that comes in hand and tries to bite on it.
Some of the symptoms of teething may include sleeplessness, restlessness, excessive drooling, pain or discomfort, and refusal of bottle or breastfeeding.
Teething is also a difficult time for the parents who always look for options to soothe the pain of their child.
Teething toys are one of the best ways to make this process a comfortable one.
Teething toys provide a smooth surface and soft material to chew on and soothe the gums of the child.
Not all teethers are suitable for the baby. Selecting the best teething toy is very crucial for parents.
In this article, we will provide all the necessary information about teething toy selection and also highlight 9 best teething toys in the market.
How to select the best teething toy for your child?
The primary purpose of a teething toy is to alleviate the pain and fussiness of the baby. They provide a clean and soft surface to chew on while helping in the eruption of teeth. (2)
Following are the key points you should keep in mind while selecting the best teething toy for your child –
- The material of the toy – most of the teethers is made of plastic. However, plastic contains harmful chemicals that may not benefit the baby’s health. Wood or silicone are good options for teething toys.
- Gel fillings – from the pile of toys in the market shelves, you may come across some toys that have a gel-like filling which can be put in the refrigerator to keep the toy cool and soothe the baby’s gums. However, the baby tends to bite hard and poke holes in such delicate materials. Such incidents may release the gel into the mouth that can be easily swallowed by the child. Therefore, always buy toys that do not contain such fillings.
- Toys with a clip – babies tend to drop the teething toy several times in a day. If you are worried that such incidents will contaminate the toy with the germs on the floor, look for teething toys that can be clipped easily to the clothes.
- Secure grip – toys with comfortable grip such as teething rings or loops help the child to hold on to them. Straight handle toys may be thick and difficult to grip on by the baby.
- Sound effects – many teething toys tend to make squeaky noise when the baby bites on it. Sound effects are a way to engage the baby and distract him from the pain.
- Size of the toy – since teething toys are directly put in the mouth of babies, make sure to select the right size of the toy. Small toys can choke the baby, and big toys may not fit in the mouth. Choose the appropriated size according to your baby’s need.
What are the benefits of using teething toys?
Teething is a painful, uncomfortable, and frustrating process that a child goes through while the teeth work on breaking through the gums.
At this time, the baby may experience restlessness, sleeplessness, diarrhea, fuzziness, crying, and loss of appetite. (3)
Benefits of using teething toys may be as follows –
- Relief from pain in the gums
- Soothing effect on the gums while biting on the toy
- Reduced crying of the baby
- Teething encourages tooth eruption and makes the process a comfortable one
What are the top 9 teething toys available in the market?
Here is a list of top 9 teething toys that are popularly used in the United States of America –
1. Nuby 18 Piece Linkables Baby Teething Toys
Teething rings usually come in a pack of 18. Following are some of the properties of teething rings –
- Bright colors are attractive for the baby
- The linkable rings can be attached to carriers, strollers, play yards and even play mats
- Different textures on the ring allow the baby to choose the best spot that soothes the gums
- Comfortable to hold on and can also slide through the wrist of the baby
- Can be sanitized easily
2. Comotomo Silicone Baby Teether
It is a flexible material which is gentle to the soft tissues of the mouth and applies soft pressure on the gums.
Many silicone teething toys, for example, the ‘Nuby Silicone Teethe-Ez Teether’ have a flexible end with different textures such as bristles that are very helpful to soothe sore gums.
Additionally, the handle of the toy also comes with different textures on which the baby can easily chew while teething.
Benefits of using silicone teething toys are –
- Provides easy grip
- Applies soft pressure which soothes the gums of the baby
- Hygienic and easy to clean
3. BEBE cookie teethers for an early teething child
Benefits of this teething toy are as follows –
- Best for early teethers as it promotes motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Can be clipped on to the baby’s clothes
- Looks like food which makes the baby chew on it more
- Textured surface massages the gums
4. Tinabless Infant Teething Keys
These toys come in a pack of five. These teething toys are made of food grade silicone and are FDA approved. Other advantages of this teething toy include –
- Phthalate free
- BPA free
- Lead and PVC free
- Comes with various textures suitable for the child
- Easy grip handle
- Can be cleaned easily in the dishwasher
5. Baby Banana Infant Training Toothbrush and Teether
The soft silicone bristles help to maintain good oral hygiene, especially for infants below the age of 12 months.
Other properties of this teething toy include –
- 100% food grade silicone which is FDA approved
- Easy to grip and hold
- Latex and BPA free
- Available in various colors
- An excellent choice for early teethers around the age of 3-12 months
6. Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle & Sensory Teether Toy
The intricate design is an eye-catcher. Additionally, the tubes are perfect for gumming babies.
An additional feature of Winkel rattle toy is that it comes with a center cube that produces a quiet rattling sound effect.
Other properties of this toy include –
- Easy to grip
- BPA free
- It is a multiple newborn toy award winner
- Can be easily cleaned by washing with hands under water
7. Nuby Silicone Teethe-EEZ Teether
It comes with a hygienic carrying case to store the teether in a clean place when not using.
Nuby silicone teether comes in a simple design with soft bristles that serves the following purposes in the mouth –
- Massaging the gums
- Cleaning the mouth
- Helps in teething
8. Infantino Good Bites Textured Carrot Teether
It is an excellent choice for early teethers and babies up until the age of 2 years. Some of the exciting properties of this toy include –
- BPA free silicone
- It comes with two teething sides
- Excellent to relieve teething pain
- Easy to hold
9. Razbaby Raz-Berry Silicone Teether
The multiple textures on this toy are excellent for providing a soothing effect on the gums of the child. This teething toy is perfect or babies of any age up until two years.
Other properties include –
- It is an original hands-free silicone teething pacifier
- Additionally, it comes with an inbuilt handle to hold the toy easily
- Can be colled in the refrigerator to provide an extra soothing effect for sore gums
- Made from 100% BPA free, food grade silicone
- Very affordable
Take away message
Teething can often prove to be a harrowing experience for the baby. As parents, you need to look after the comfort of your baby, especially during teething.
Symptoms of teething usually include fussy feeling, constant crying, pain, and discomfort in the mouth, urge to bite on hard things, excessive drooling, and loss of appetite.
Teething toys come in handy to provide the best soothing effect and make this process better for children. Finding the best teething toy is crucial to give your child the best experience. (4)
Teething rings, silicone toys, freezable toys are some of the best and the most popularly used teething toys across the United States.
These teething toys are safe to use, easy to clean, and inexpensive.
Hopefully, after reading this article, you must have got a good idea about the type of toys that you should buy for your baby.