This article is for you if you are a torrent lover but want to be safe while torrenting.
Torrenting is the practice where several users share small bits of a larger file with each other to allow the faster download.
Torrenting itself is not illegal, but you tend to expose your IP addresses to others which is a privacy concern. And if you have downloaded a copyrighted file even by mistake, you could be under threat of being caught by government agencies.
Off course, stemjar strongly discourages downloading copyrighted files illegally but then we also don’t want you to be under constant fear of being traced while even working legally.
And thats where you should look for using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) which not only hide your identity but it also encrypts the data. So you get security as well as privacy while torrenting.
But to use a VPN for torrenting, you need to know that not every VPN can support torrent downloading. So, you should carefully choose a VPN after proper research and study.
Besides, there are several factors you should consider before zeroing down to any particular VPN for this purpose. Remember speed is important but not just enough.
Factors to consider while choosing a VPN for torrenting
- Does VPN have a torrenting policy
- Good privacy jurisdiction
- No IP address leaks or DNS leak
- Strong Encryption
- Money back Guarantee
- Customer Support
Thinking about what can be your best VPN option for torrenting? Here we are with some excellent suggestions for you!
Is there a VPN for torrenting?
Well, of course, there is VPN for torrenting. Not every VPN will allow torrent download, as stated earlier.
So, let’s directly look at which VPNs support it.
ExpressVPN is the number one VPN choice for torrenting. There are multiple characteristics which make it user-favorite! They are:
- It offers unlimited bandwidth and breakneck download speeds. So, torrent whatever you wish to, whenever you want to and without any restriction on size.
- Its offshore jurisdiction in the BVI (British Virgin Islands (BVI)
BVI law generally affords more privacy and anonymity than other countries’ like that of U.S. or European law, making ExpressVPN an ideal choice for torrenting.
- It provides strong encryption and supports several VPN protocols. Thus, ExpressVPN ensures online safety very well. It can block new threats too, such as DNS/IPv6 leaks.
- ExpressVPN has an instant kill switch feature which auto-locks your traffic to avert IP leaks whenever the VPN connection drops.
- It is compatible with almost any platform — for example, Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, etc.
- There is 24/7 customer support available through live chat or email.
What torrenting software can be used with ExpressVPN?
ExpressVPN is comparatively expensive than other providers. You may try out the 30-day free trial of ExpressVPN and then subscribe to its plan for continuing to enjoy the services.
However, if you’re not happy with ExpressVPN services for any cause, you can even get a complete refund but within 30 days.
NordVPN is known to be the most secure VPN for torrenting. Its salient features are as follows
- All the pieces of information you send and receive online travels through an encrypted tunnel. Thus you can protect your private information from hackers.
- NordVPN protects the user’s torrenting activity with the OpenVPN protocol and AES-256 encryption.
- NordVPN has a smart algorithm that provides you with the best possible server option at the moment, and this is facilitated with the Quick Connect button.
- An ultra-secure connection is offered with support for different protocols like IKEv2/IPsec, OpenVPN, PPTP, and L2TP. There are also some ‘Double VPN’ servers which pass your data through two separate VPN servers for additional security.
- The Kill Switch feature ensures the privacy of your data. NordVPN also secures your data with military-grade encryption.
- NordVPN does not store logs and has steady download speeds.
- It is suitable for several platforms like Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS.
- 24/7 customer support is also available.
What torrenting software can be used with ExpressVPN?
NordVPN can be used with uTorrent, Bittorrent, and other P2P services.
You can enjoy a 7-day free trial of NordVPN. It offers three packages – a monthly plan, a yearly plan and a 3-year plan of which the last one is highly preferred. The pricing is not too high.
CyberGhost is an excellent client for torrenting and is very user-friendly. Its striking characteristics are as follows
- It auto-connects to a P2P compatible server and then activates the required settings to speed up the downloads. It protects them as well as helps in opening the torrent program after connecting.
- You can safely stay anonymous online with the Torrent Anonymously button of CyberGhost.
- It also supports bitcoins. It even abstains HTTPS requests for compatibility with download managers that don’t support this protocol.
- CyberGhost offers a 45-day money back guarantee.
- It is suitable across different operating systems like Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
What torrenting software can be used with CyberGhost?
CyberGhost can be used with uTorrent, Bittorrent, and other P2P services.
There are different packages like the 1-month plan, 6-month plan, and 3-year plan which are available at affordable prices. Subscribe to the one you require and try out CyberGhost.
Windscribe is a feature-rich VPN for torrenting. Let us discuss its general characteristics, along with its desktop and browser extension features.
- Just one subscription supports unlimited device connections which is an outstanding factor. Also, it supports P2P on many servers.
- The ‘R.O.B.E.R.T’ feature helps in blocking malware and ads on the devices.
- It does not store any logs.
- Windscribe uses AES-256 cipher with SHA512 auth and a 4096-bit RSA key.
- The port forwarding feature allows the users to access internal resources safely.
- Bitcoins are supported.
- Windscribe provides a firewall that blocks connections outside the tunnel to prevent any leak.
- It builds a proxy server on your network for other systems.
- It aids in making your device a secure hotspot.
- It also offers flexible connectivity with the help of protocols like OpenVPN UDP, IKEv2, TCP or Stealth on many ports.
Browser Extension features
- Cruise Control chooses the best location for you automatically.
- Cookie monster tracks all cookies and removes them on closing the tabs.
- With Timezone spoofing, you can modify your timezone to appear in a different country.
What torrenting software can be used with Windscribe?
Windscribe can be used with uTorrent, Vuze, Bittorrent, and other P2P services.
There are two plans – monthly and yearly at affordable costs. Also, there is a third kind of package which is customizable by the users by adding the desirable locations at $1/location.
5. Private Internet Access (PIA)
It is regarded as the most anonymous VPN service. It is a user-friendly software with the following features
- It keeps no logs.
- PIA offers one-click connection.
- PIA encrypts your total internet traffic, and this encryption keeps you safe even on public wifi. It uses a secure IP.
- You can overcome geographic restrictions and unblock websites. Also, you get uncensored access to the internet.
- 24/7 customer support is available.
Additional features in its advanced versions include
- Port forwarding to optimize torrent performance
- DNS Leak protection
- Disconnect protection
- Alternate configurations
What torrenting software can be used with PIA?
PIA can be used with Vuze, Deluge, uTorrent, QBittorrent, and other P2P services.
There is no trial version available. However, to use PIA, you can choose between 3 plans with a subscription such as 1-month, 1-year (with one extra month free) and 2-year (with three additional months free).
PrivateVPN is yet another VPN which is widely used for torrenting. Its features are
- It has zero data logging policy to maintain privacy.
- It has 2048-bit encryption with AES-256.
- PrivateVPN provides fast speed and unlimited bandwidth.
- The Kill Switch automatically suspends your internet connection in case you disconnect from the VPN and prevents any data leak.
- At least one open port is there for torrenting.
- It supports protocols like OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, and IKEv2.
- There is a 30-day money back guarantee.
- PrivateVPN is supported on systems like Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, and Linux.
What torrenting software can be used with PrivateVPN?
PrivateVPN can be used with uTorrent, Bittorrent, and other P2P services.
There are three different plans – 1 month, 3-month and 12-month at different rates.
A comparative study between the different VPN services for torrenting
You are now familiar with some of the distinguished VPN services used for torrenting. Why not quickly study them in a tabular form to make it even more comfortable and quicker for you to decide which one is appropriate for you? Let’s go!
The Tabular Guide
No. of plans offered
Within 30 days
Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux
Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux
Windows, Mac, Android, iOS
Windows, Android, iOS
All OS platforms
By now, you should have got an idea of different VPN services for torrenting.
If you are a regular torrent user, you must consider an option of using a VPN. But remember that All VPNs do not support torrenting.
Infact, VPN providers such as HoxxVPN and HolaVPN even penalize users and ban torrenting, thus restricting your freedom in the digital world.
But on the other side, there are some like ExpressVPN, NordVPN, CyberGhost, Windscribe, Private Internet Access, and PrivateVPN who does support torrenting.
Each one of them has some or other essential features, and all of them compete for the title of ‘best VPN for torrenting.’ The tabular guide summarizes their characteristics which can help you in making a quick decision regarding the desired VPN.
Each of them offers several plans, and you can choose the one suitable for you. Some provide trial versions, money back guarantee, customer support, whereas some do not. Most of them do not keep any logs which is a very much preferable condition for selecting the VPN for torrenting.