You must be familiar with the term dentist and the different specialties that categorize dentists worldwide. Dentists are healthcare professionals that mainly treat diseases associated with the teeth and gums. However, biological dentists are a group of healthcare providers that approach a patient in a non-traditional way. Moreover, they link oral health with overall health and welfare. For example, biological dentists choose alternative solutions to mercury fillings and chemical teeth whitening.
Holistic dentists look for a more natural approach and pay attention to factors such as stress, diet, and sleep pattern of the patient to treat oral inflammations and disease. Typically, holistic dentists practice disease diagnosis, prevention, and treatment using natural therapies that bring a positive change in the physical and emotional health of the patient. Today’s article will highlight the qualities of a biological dentist. Furthermore, we will discuss the first appointment expectation with a biological dentist.
Who is a biological dentist?
A biological dentist, also known as a natural dentist, usually operates according to the belief system that oral health is always connected to the overall health and well being of the patient. They are more or less similar to holistic dentists.
Biological dentists understand that diseases of the mouth can often affect the health of the other body organs. Therefore, they focus on treatments that can restore both dental and systemic health naturally. Typically biological dentists use minimal invasive dental therapies and patient education. Moreover, they use safe and biocompatible dental materials to restore the tooth. (1)
They are different from traditional dentists because they do not believe in ‘one treatment fits all approach.’ Holistic dentists recognize every patient’s needs and treat them accordingly.
What are the responsibilities of the biological dentist?
The typical responsibilities of a holistic dentist are given below –
- They understand the mouth-body relationship and treat the cause of the problem that may have a positive effect on the overall health of the person. For example, they know the harm mercury and other toxic dental material can have on the systemic health of the patient. Therefore, they focus on restoring the tooth with more natural materials.
- They offer biocompatibility testing though blood or muscle test to determine the filling that best suits the individual. Moreover, they decide the dental materials used for fillings, bridges, and crowns. (2)
- The biologic dentist is well trained in removing amalgam restorations and filling it with biocompatible mercury-free and non-toxic dental materials.
- They devote much of their time in patient education. They are passionate about their way of practice and seek to inform the patient about the mouth-body connection. For example, they educate patients on personal care, toothpaste, and cleaning products that are biocompatible and have natural ingredients.
- They do not believe in the drill landfill strategy. Moreover, they advocate for a more conservative, non-surgical, and minimally invasive dental practice. Some of the conventional treatments performed by them include air abrasion, ozone therapy, and laser therapy.
- Natural dentists aim at preserving as much of the tooth structure as possible. (3)
- They use low radiation digital radiography to minimize the risk of radiation exposure.
- They use alternative therapies to traditional dental treatments such as nutritional support and homeopathy.
What to expect during an appointment with a holistic dentist?
During your first dental visit, the natural dentist will take a complete medical history to rule out the presence of any current systemic diseases. The dental assistant and other experienced staff will also speak to you to get more information on your health history and oral health concerns.
On reviewing the full medical history, the dentist will perform complete dental examinations and x-ray studies that are quite similar to what a traditional dentist performs. The biological dentist then determines a holistic treatment that will align with the systemic health of the patient. (4)
Biological dentists also work in close cooperation with the medical department. Moreover, he will educate the patient on maintaining good oral hygiene and how to incorporate natural products into their oral health routine.
What treatments do biologic dentists offer?
The best way to find a biological dentist is to look for one online near your location. Next finds out the services provided by the biological dentist to determine the type of treatment you require. Most of the dental services offered by a natural dentist include –
- Dental examination
- Professional teeth cleaning
- Treatment of gum disease
- Sleep apnea
- Treatment for temporomandibular joint disorders
- Teeth whitening (5)
- Dental implants
- Laser treatments for dental infections
- Clear braces
Take away message
Biological dentists or natural dentists differ from standard dentists in several ways. The primary practice of biological dentists depends on the belief that there is a strong connection between the mouth and body. They often incorporate natural remedies to treat their patients.
Biological dentists do not believe in drill and fill policy. Moreover, they do not support the use of mercury. Instead, they promote laser and ozone therapy to treat dental disease. Additionally, they work in close cooperation with the medical staff to keep a check o the systemic health of the patient.
Another characteristic of a biological dentist is that they perform minimally invasive, non-surgical treatments. Furthermore, they spend more time educating the patient about their oral health and how it can affect their overall health and well being.