Teeth whitening is one of the best dental procedures that instantly provide a bright and whiter smile. For many people, teeth whitening is a confidence booster and a convenient way to get a natural smile enhancement.
There are several teeth whitening procedures performed professionally and at home. Blue teeth whitening is one among them. The blue teeth whitening process incorporated the LED light technology, which provides a high level of brightness.
Moreover, it takes a few minutes to get the results as compared to the week-long use of other teeth whitening home kits. Blue teeth whitening is also a safer option for people who want to try teeth whitening for the first time.
Today’s article will highlight the procedure for using blue teeth whitening. Furthermore, we will discuss the benefits and safety of blue teeth whitening.
What is blue light teeth whitening?
The blue teeth whitening system comes with a three-component kit –
- Shade guide
- Bleaching gel
- Blue light activating system
Some of the commonly used whitening gels include hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. Carbamide peroxide is typically a slow-acting bleaching product. It breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and urea when reacted with the tooth structure. (2)
Urea is a waste product. However, the hydrogen peroxide helps remove the superficial stains and discoloration by altering the tooth enamel’s chemical structure. Usually, the individual is instructed to place the gel on each tooth surface, followed by the placement of the blue light shield over the teeth for at least 10-15 minutes.
What is the use of blue light?
The blue light acts as a catalyst to speed up the process of tooth whitening. Usually, the blue light used in this tooth whitening system is often intense and brighter than its counterparts. Moreover, the light is cooler due to its heat dissipating design.
Since this blue light teeth whitening uses LED light as the activator, it spares the teeth from the harmful effects of UV radiation than other teeth whitening products use. Moreover, it minimizes the risk of cellular mutations caused by powerful UV light. (3)
What are the benefits of blue light teeth whitening?
- Affordable as compared to expensive professional teeth whitening treatments.
- Convenient to use anytime at home.
- Effective in removing the surface stains and deep tooth discoloration instantly.
- No UV Radiation makes it a safer choice and protects the integrity of the oral tissues.
What are the disadvantages of blue light teeth whitening?
Some of the disadvantages of blue light teeth whitening may include –
- Not a permanent solution for having a white smile – several lifestyle factors and genetic factors play a role in pigmenting the tooth enamel. Moreover, the natural thinning of enamel and pigmentation of the internal dentin may continue to turn the teeth yellow.
- Can’t be used during Pregnancy
- Possibility of damaging the tooth enamel (4)
- May not be suitable for everyone such as children or the older population
Are there any side effects of using blue teeth whitening?
Some of the common side effects of using blue light teeth whitening may include –
- Tooth Sensitivity – your teeth may temporarily become more sensitive after blue light teeth whitening. However, it can be managed by using toothpaste for sensitive teeth. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and gently brush your teeth to avoid discomfort.
- Gum Irritation – usually, the whitening process consists of bleaching gel that may irritate when it comes into contact with the tongue or gums. However, this is also a temporary side effect. As the cell turnover in the mouth is quick, the irritation will not usually last long.
- Overuse damage – Repeated use of blue light teeth whitening or using too much whitening gel can cause damage to the tooth enamel. Additionally, leaving the bleaching gel on for too long can also cause permanent damage to the teeth. However, this damage can be prevented by following the instructions of the kit carefully. (5)
Is blue light teeth whitening safe?
The blue light teeth whitening has been developed to be safe, especially for home use. This is because of the use of a blue LED light source as compared to the older, UV light sources, which is harmful to the teeth. For instance, the UV light is considered a risk as it may cause the burning of soft tissue, gum irritation, damage to the teeth, and increased tooth sensitivity.
Whereas, the LED technology used in blue light teeth whitening eliminates all these risk factors and provide a safer tooth whitening experience. However, while the blue light is safe, teeth whitening procedures usually involve putting bleaching agent onto the tooth surface. Therefore, it is essential to follow the instructions which are specific to the kit.
What is the cost of blue light teeth whitening?
The average cost of blue light teeth whitening kit may range between $30 – $60 per kit. One kit may last you for ten applications. However, read the label to get more information about the product.
Take away message
Blue teeth whitening is one of the most popular whitening procedure which uses the LED technology to activate the bleaching gel on the tooth surface. Moreover, it helps to provide instant results by removing the teeth’ surface stains and deep discolorations.
The blue light system is much safer than the traditional UV light teeth whitening as it does not harm the tooth enamel or surrounding oral tissues. Additionally, unlike the UV light, the blue light system eliminates the risk of cellular mutation that can damage the oral health.
It is essential to follow the instructions of blue light teeth whitening carefully before using it to prevent tooth sensitivity, overuse damage, and irritation to the gums.