Safari and Google Chrome are the most popular internet browsers on any iPhone. Both browsers store tons of data as history, such as the history of websites, passwords, cache and cookies, for proving you better browsing experience. But saved data like password could be compromised easily. In short, the saved data may need to be cleared at times, if required. Also, you may not be comfortable in revealing your browsing routine to everyone and may like to erase even browsing history.
Clearing Chrome browser history on desktop or laptop is command driven, but when it comes to iPhone, you have to know the exact steps. The steps are pretty much straightforward and could be finished in a few seconds.
Follow these steps to clear Google Chrome history on iPhone
- Open Chrome browser on iPhone.
- Now tap the Chrome menu button (three vertical dots on the right-hand side of the browser).
- A drop-down menu will appear. Click Settings.
- Now a pop-up screen will appear. Look for the option called Privacy. Click it.
- On the Privacy screen, click Clear Browsing Data.
- In the Clear Browsing Data screen, you will see five different options as Browsing history, Cookies & Site Data, Cached Images and Files, Saved Passwords and Autofill Data. (Read more for more clarity and explanation)
Learn more about these 5 options
Whenever you browse any website, the history of the website URL is stored for future reference. So, whenever you are want to revisit any website from history, you can refer it. Also, these browsers have auto-complete feature, where the moment you type few words of the URL, the browser will auto-complete the URL from its historical website data.
Cookies, Site Data
Whenever you load a website on your iPhone, cookies are loaded and stored on your iPhone. These cookies are small text files which can be either accessed by your client browser or by the web server. For instance, the web server can present you its web page tailored to your need based on stored cookies. On the other side, your browser can use this data as carryover information to the next related site.
Cached Images and Files
Safari and Chrome, both stores images and files from a previously browsed website on your iPhone’s cache memory. The cached images and files come in handy whenever you want to revisit a site since the browser can render a web page faster by loading data files such images from its cache memory and not from the web server.
Whenever you fill in user details such as username and password on any website, Safari and Chrome will prompt you to save the username and password. Whenever you opt to store the password, the data goes in the iPhone cache memory. The next time when you revisit the website, the username and password will get fetched from the cache memory.
Apart from username and password, Safari and Chrome also store data like your name, home address, office address, etc. It will be cumbersome if you have to fill in the same data over and again on different websites.
- Select whatever you want to clear and click Clear Browsing Data. This option has double authentication, and you may have to reconfirm once again by tapping the same option in the second pop-up window.
- Based on cached history size, it will take few seconds to erase everything finally. Click Done when you finish everything.
Suggested Read – Clear Chrome Browsing History from iPad
Follow these steps to clear Safari history on iPhone
Through Safari browser
- Open Safari browser on iPhone.
- Click on the Bookmark icon, which also looks like an open book.
- Now tap history icon which on top right most of the browser. It also looks like a watch.
- Go to the bottom of the screen and click Clear.
- Here you will be presented with four different options such as The last hour, Today, Today and yesterday and All time. Based on your preference, you can select up to when you want to clear the browsing history.
- Within a second, all history will be wiped out.
This option will clear all browsing history. You won’t have the choice of length of time.
- Open iPhone settings.
- Scroll down and look for Safari app option. Click it.
- Now again scroll down to the bottom and click Clear History and Website Data.
- You will get a confirmation window. As soon as you confirm it, all historical data from Safari browser will be cleared.