Would you like it if you had to log in to your frequently visited websites each time you visit it? Or if your saved items in an online shopping cart were dumped each time you shut the site? No right!? This is precisely the reason why cookies are an essential part of your web browser. But occasionally you may like to clear cache and cookies in Chrome. Why? Reason is simple as they are stored on your hard drive and could pose security breach in near future.
- Suggested Read – How can you Clear Google Chrome History?
What do cookies do?
Cookies are messages that web server passes to your web browsers when you go to a website and are returned when you leave that site. Your browser saves these message in small files, and they contain information about your past visits on the website, like your login id, name etc.
And hence, they help you stay logged on your favourite website rather than asking you to re-enter your password on every visit. It also saves items in your shopping cart and keeps track of how many times you’ve read an article online.
And what about cache?
Similarly, caches are present along with cookies which play the role of a memory-keeper and help load faster. The Chrome cache stores files like web pages and images that you’ve already visited.
- Suggested Read – How to Change Language in Google Chrome?
Can there be a reason why I’d say no to cookies?
Yes, there can be times when you don’t require cookies to be enabled. These can be times when you lent your device to someone else and when you got it back. Also, sometimes pre-visitee-commerce websites start identifying you and may increase their cost. Or even at times when they can pose a privacy threat as they can help advertisers track you across various sites.
At such times, when the need occurs, you can disable or clear the cookies.
Trivia: Use incognito mode while booking air tickets or train tickets. Usually, websites soars their price if they find you visiting frequestly.
- Suggested Read – How to Manage Google Chrome Autofill Settings?
Steps to disable cookies & caches in Chrome
Here are some simple do-it-yourself steps to disable cookies and caches:
- Open the Chrome browser
- On the upper right corner, you’ll find the menu button. Click on it.
- Go to the Settings menu and click it. It will open as a new window in your browser.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Show advanced settings.
If you wish to clear Chrome caches
- As you scroll the advanced settings, you’ll find an option called Clear browsing data. Tap on this if you want to clear Chrome cache.
To delete cookies partially in chrome
- But if you wish to keep some cookies and delete others, click on the Content settings.
- Click on the button labelled All cookies and site data if you want just to clean out a few, or if you wish to find out more information about your cookies.
- You will be able to view all cookies stored in Chrome. Click the Remove all button for trashing them all.
- Choose the cookies you wish to remove by clicking on their name. You’ll see a little X to the right. Click it to delete that cookie.
To satisfy your curiosity, you can get to know more about any particular cookie by clicking on the button that appears below them.