Centimeter and Inch are two of the most popular units of Length. Length (l) is the most extended (from one end to another end along a straight line) dimension of an object. Given their wide uses, it would be at times essential to know how to convert centimeters to Inches (cm to inches) and vice-versa.
Unlike area or volume, length is a measure of only one dimension. So, in most of the measurement systems, length is the base unit to derive other units. For example, if you want to measure the area of a rectangle, then you have to consider the length of both sides.
A centimeter is a metric unit used to measure small distances. A centimeter is 1/100th of a meter. An inch is 1/12th of a foot.
We generally use centimeters to measure lengths on a shorter scale. Using Inch is a better option for the broader range of measurements.
The symbol for centimeter is cm, and the symbol for Inch is in or ″.
Conversion calculator – How to convert centimeters to Inches (cm to inches)?
You can use the following conversion calculator to convert cm to inches. Just enter cms in the entry field and observe the calculated inches value.
The formula to convert cm to inches
1 cm = 0.3937007874 in
Example: If you want to convert 25 cm to inches then you need to multiply it with the factor of 0.3937007874.
25 cm = 25 × 0.3937007874 in = 9.842519685 in
You can do it in your mind too, by roughly using a factor of 0.39.
The formula to convert inches to cm
The formula to convert inch to centimeters is as follows
1 in = 2.54 cm
Example: If you want to convert 18 inches to cms then you need to multiply it by the factor of 2.54.
Using the formula to convert inch to centimeter, we get
18 in=18×2.54 cm=45.72 cm
What is centimeter?
One Centimeter is equal to one unit of length measured in the International System of Units (SI units). It is also equal to 1/100 meters.
The symbol for centimeter is cm.
- Origin – The prefix “centi” of “Centimeter” signifies one-hundredth of a meter. The range of the Metric prefixes is distributed quite widely from factors of 10-18 to 1018 based on the decimal system, assuming the base have no prefix and have a factor of 1.
- Usages –
- It is used worldwide for length measurements, especially in the countries which have undergone the metrication and where a smaller scale than the meter is required. The centimeter is the CGS unit (centimeter–gram–second system of units) of length.
- Interestingly, this unit is also used to measure the level of rainfall by a rain gauge.
- The centimeter is used to measure capacitance in the CGS system.
- This is the unit to convert from map scale to real-world scale.
- In the countries like the United States, height is commonly measured in centimeters.
- The symbol for centimeter is cm.
What is inch?
An inch is a unit of length which is equal to 1⁄36 yard or 1⁄12 of a foot. It is widely used in (British) imperial and the United States customary systems of measurement.
- Origin – The origin of the word ‘Inch’ is from Roman uncia (“twelfth”). uncia was a Roman unit to measure length, weight, and volume.
The word “inch” has been derived from the word for “thumb” in European languages as the width of a man’s thumb is about an inch.
- Usages – It is mostly used in the United States, United Kingdom, and Canada. Sometimes the length measurement system of Japan (as well as other countries) uses it too.
- The international standard symbol of the inch is “in”. In the traditional system, its symbol is a double prime (″).
- Some other units related to Inch are
- US Survey inches- There is 2 millionth part difference between the standard and the US survey
- Continental inches- Many European countries used to have this customary unit before the adoption of the metric system.
- Scottish inch- 1 Scottish inch was equal to 1.0016 imperial inches. This unit is now obsolete.
Quick lookup – Centimeters to inches (cm to inches)
Some interesting facts about Centimeters to Inches (cm to inches)
- Initially, a yard was equal to the length of a man’s belt. In the 12th century, King Henry I of England fixed the measurement of the yard. He defined it as the distance from his nose to the thumb of his outstretched arm. And today the measurement is equal to 36 inches.
- One of the oldest definitions of an inch was equal to the length of three grains of the round, dry barley placed end-to-end.
- One centimeter is approximately equal to the width of the fingernail of an average adult person.
- The length of an average man’s foot is 12 inches. Also, 1 foot=12 inches and that is why the unit ‘foot’ is called so.