Dr Dre is a rapper, DJ, entrepreneur and producer with a net worth of a massive $740 million. This total puts him in the #3 place in Forbes’s list of Richest Rappers. His earnings just from the year 2015 are about $33 million. He is the person who has made the careers of world-famous rappers such as Snoop Dogg, Eminem and 50 Cent.
Andre Young was born on February 18, 1965, in Compton, California. He had an impoverished childhood, but despite the struggles, he completed his schooling at Roosevelt Junior High School. He is married to Nicole Young since 1996.
Earnings included in Dr Dre net worth
- His first taste in music was as a DJ in a club called ‘Eve after Dark’.
- His career began in 1984 when he joined ‘World Class Wreckin’ Cru’. They released an album called ‘Surgery’ and sold 50,000 copies just inside his hometown.
- He then joined N.W.A and their album ‘Straight Outta Compton’ sold 3 million.
- He then took to become a producer and launched his solo career as well as that of Snoop Dogg
- He has co-produced music with Tupac and Jay-Z.
- He produced Snoop Dogg’s Doggystyle and six songs from Eminem’s ‘Slim Shady’.
- His debut album was ‘The Chronic’ which received triple platinum and sold millions of copies worldwide.
- Dr Dre and 2Pac’s collaboration song ‘California Love’ topped the billboards and to this day remains in the hearts of many fans.
- Dre has released most of his albums through his own company.
- To boost his company, Dre signed rapper Eminem in 1998, becoming his most effective moves.
His other albums are:
- Chronic 2000
- Compton which earned him $600,000.
Movie and TV
- His debut on screen was in the film ‘Set it off’ in 1996.
- He also produced a movie called ‘Straight Outta Campton’ in 2015 based on N.W.A.
- Another movie that he has released is ‘The Defiant Ones’ on HBO in 2017.
- He was also the executive producer of ‘The Eminem Show’.
Other movies he’s made minor appearances in are:
- Other films in which he made his appearance was ‘The Wash’ and ‘Traning day’.
- Up in Smoke
Dr Dre’s taste in cars is very much suited to his worth. He owns:
- A Hummer H2 which is a military-style SUV- $53,000
- Chrysler 300- $75,000
- Bentley Continental GT- $253,095
Endorsements, investments and ventures
- In July 2008, Andre founded and released one of the world-renowned franchise ‘Beats’ which deals in headphones and speakers.
- He first sold some of its shares to HTC for $175 million and in 2014, he sold Beats to Apple for $3 billion
- He was the co-founder of ‘Death Row Records’
- He also founded the ‘Aftermath Entertainment’ in 1996 and sold 35% of its stock for $52 million to Interscope Records.
- Dr Dre and his partner gave $70 million to Southern California University for creating a degree called ‘USC Jimmy Lovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and Business of Innovation.’
- He also endorsed many companies such as ‘Coors Light’, ‘Dr.Pepper’, ‘Chrysler 300s’ etc.
- He also gave his voice for a game titled ’50 Cent: Bulletproof’.
Suggested Read – Kadeem Hardison’s Net Worth
- In 2014, the rapper purchased a 14,000 square feet mansion in Los Angeles for $40 million. The home consists of amenities such as a den, sauna, library, gym, five bedrooms, nine bathrooms and a garage.
- He also owned 9,696 square feet home with six bedrooms and nine bathrooms which also included a swimming pool and a wine cellar but sold it in 2015 for $32 million.
- Dre owns an 8,842 square feet property in Malibu with a worth of $4.8 million
- He owns another 13,748 square foot home in Woodland Hills that is estimated to be around $2.4 million
- He donated $10 million to Compton High for building a performing arts complex.
- He has donated a lot of money towards helping the youth
- Out of the $70 million that was given to Southern California University, much of the money was used to support many students’ education.
- He has also donated proceeds from his albums towards the good of people.
He supports the following charities:
- Global Fund
- Michael J. Fox Foundation
He also supports cases such as
- Animal protection
- Young children.
- Parkinson’s disease.
Andre Romelle Young aka Dr Dre is one of the most successful rappers and entrepreneur. He is the only rapper to make $3 billion in one deal. Dre has led his company and every band or Record he joined toward success. He gave us our favourites and helped build them up. Eminem’s Slim Shady, to this day, remains one of the best albums ever. Dr Dre’s net worth will undoubtedly keep hiking as he proceeds towards better opportunities and career.
Feature Image Credit: Snapshot from YouTube Video by DrDreVEVO