Nobody likes a house fly as they can be the most annoying thing in your home. House flies also carry pathogens and infections wherever they go. You look for ways of getting rid of house flies.
One such method is flypaper, which further prevents house flies from spreading diseases. You can easily get flypaper in the market but why to spend on something which you can make at home.
Flypaper is sticky, and flies are attracted to it. The moment they sit on it, they are glued for forever. Let’s learn how to make flypaper. The steps are simple, and you require a couple of things which are readily available at home.
You require following things to make flypaper
- A sheet of paper (brown bag or any craft paper)
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Honey or corn syrup – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
Method of making flypaper
- Cut the brown bag or any craft sheet into long strips.
- Mix sugar, honey, and water in a pan.
- Heat the mixture until there is no residue. The sugar should dissolve completely.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully insert all strips into the solution.
- Wait for some time to get the strips saturated completely.
- Remove the strips with the help of tongs as they will be hot.
- Unfold the strips and spread them on a mesh or something similar. Wait until they get dried completely.
The result of the above steps would be an original sticky fly paper. Now the flypaper has everything necessary to attract house flies. Hang them at a place where you expect flies.
Also, make sure to keep them away from your dining space since they could fall at times with flock of house flies.
Precaution and tips
The whole process requires heating and dealing with a sticky substance. Make sure to use proper equipment like a big saucepan, tongs, gloves, etc. If you can get the brown bag from a grocery store, then it is perfect otherwise another kind of craft paper would be sufficient.
The only requirement is that the paper should have the bloating property with adequate thickness.
The stickiness of the flypaper goes away with time. I do not suggest to reuse the flypaper since it would have a lot of killed flies on it. Instead, use new flypaper. Remember you have made a dozen of them with the above process.
Flypaper can be a lot of hassle for many because of its stickiness. You can also make a fly trap following several other methods. Our ultimate aim is to get rid of them and have a cleaner environment around us.