A VPN option is inbuilt in all Android devices available as on date. You just need to set up a VPN connection. The overall configuration is a breeze and does not require any technical expertise. Using the default option on your Android smartphone, a secure VPN connection can be created between your phone and a remote VPN server. After keying in the necessary details for the VPN connection on your Android device, you would have to log in with the credentials provided to you by the VPN service provider.
Another option is via installing the Android app of the registered VPN service provider such as NordVPN, ExpressVPN, TunnelBear, etc. Let’s see how to setup a VPN on Android with both options.
How does a VPN help?
A Virtual Private Network will help secure your phone’s internet traffic. You will have no worries about losing your confidential data when using a public Wifi hotspot at a railway station or airport. It does this by creating a VPN tunnel between your phone and a VPN server.
All your internet traffic will flow through this tunnel thereby protecting it from prying eyes. Your ISP won’t track your internet activity as it will see the connection up to VPN server and not the target website.
Other eavesdroppers would not be able to trap your connection as it goes via an encrypted tunnel. Also, it would appear to your target website that the traffic is coming from the IP address of the VPN server and not from your machine.
This way your IP address is hidden and your identity are protected.
Information required before you set up a VPN on Android
Before setting up the VPN connection, you would need a few details. The information includes –
- The name and IP address of the VPN server with which you want to create a connection.
- Username and password credentials provided by VPN service provider.
- Find out if your VPN service requires encryption.
How to Setup a VPN on Android via default option?
Now that you have all the required information, let’s see how to setup a VPN on Android. Please make a note that I have used Samsung smartphone for this tutorial and a few steps might differ on other Android devices.
- Open the Settings option from the applications drawer on your phone.
- Head to Connections and tap on More Networks.
- From the various options available, choose VPN.
- If your device does not have any password protection or pattern lock then you might have to configure it before you can proceed further.
- Look for ‘+’ symbol on the top right corner of your Android device. Tap it.
- Enter the Name of the VPN service for your reference. Then select type of VPN protocol such as PPTP, L2TP, IPSec, etc.
- Now, enter the name of the VPN server or its IP address in the Server address field. Select the PPP encryption (MPPE) option, if required.
- If you are an advanced user and would like to set forwarding routes, DNS servers, etc. then click on Show advanced options.
- Once you are done with all settings, click Save.
- For connecting with the VPN, go to the VPN Menu once again and select the one which you created before.
- Enter the username and password provided by the VPN service provider.
- Then, click on Connect. Your VPN connection is established.
You can create several VPN connections based on how many you have subscribed. When you create a VPN connection, a notification displaying the same will always be present in your notification drawer.
To disconnect you merely have to tap on the notification and then tap on Disconnect. Beginning with the Android version 4.2, Google has given an ‘Always-On’ option to its users.
If you choose to keep this option activated then your smartphone will allow no data to be sent except over the VPN. This can be particularly beneficial when you are using a Wi-Fi connection and always want the VPN to remain on.
How to Setup a VPN on Android via 3rd party application?
If some of you felt above steps as cumbersome then there is the easiest way to setup a VPN on your Android device. Install directly the Android application provided by the VPN service provider such as NordVPN, ExpressVPN, TunnelBear, etc.
- Open Google Play Store on your Android smartphone.
- Search for NordVPN, ExpressVPN, etc.
- Click install.
- Open the Application after it gets installed.
- It will prompt for details like server location, username, and password.
How to Setup a VPN on Android if you are using OpenVPN networks?
Android smartphone does have the native solution for OpenVPN networks. So, if you are looking to connect with any OpenVPN server then you have to download official app of OpenVPN.
The application requires minimum Android 4.0. If you have higher version then also you are covered.
The method of connecting with the VPN server is straightforward and relatively easy for an android device. If you want to keep your online activity private and get access to restricted content, then you must setup a VPN on your Android device.