Kilometer and Mile are two of the famous units of distance which are used worldwide. Mile is longer than a kilometer and often used in the United States and the United Kingdom. But kilometers is popular in most of the world. As it is often required to convert these two, it will be useful for you to know the formula to convert kilometers to miles and vice versa.
You can convert a distance from kilometer to mile by simply multiplying it with 0.621371. For conversion of the mile to the kilometer, the multiplication factor is 1.6.
The symbols of the kilometer and mile are km and mi or m respectively.
You can convert any length in kilometers to miles quickly with the help of the above conversion calculator.
Kilometers to miles Conversion- formula and explanation
The conversion formula of kilometers to miles is
1 Kilometer= 0.621371 mile.
Let’s say you are a regular runner for 10 kilometers marathon. You need to participate in another marathon where distances are mentioned in miles. You need to know what will be the value of the distance in the mile (or miles)?
Using the conversion formula of kilometers to miles, we get
10 kilometers= (10×0.621371) miles=6.21371miles=6.2 miles (approximately).
Miles to kilometers Conversion- formula and explanation
The conversion formula of miles to kilometers is
1 mile= 1.60934 kilometers.
Let’s say your favorite supermarket is 12 miles away from your house. What will be the value of the same in kilometers?
Using the formula to convert miles to kilometers we get,
12 miles = (1.60934 ×12) kilometers= 19.31208 kilometers = 19.3 (approximately).
You can use a simplified factor of 1.6 to remember it easily.
So, what is the km?
A kilometer is the basic unit of length measurement in the metric system.
1 kilometer = 1,000 meters=approximately 0.62 miles.
The International Bureau of weights and measure has adopted this unit as the standard to measure the length of a body or any distance. The symbol of Kilometer is km. This unit is used worldwide to measure medium to large lengths, distances between places or cities and various geographic distances, etc.
The initial name of kilometer was ‘Millaire’ given by the French Academy of Sciences (On 8th May 1790). The revolution of this name through the years has produced the present name we call ‘Kilometer.’
- It is used to measure the geographical distances (distances between two places or cities).
- The lengths of Highways, heights of the mountains are often measured in kilometers.
- It is one of the most suitable units to measure the lengths on the medium range.
What is a mile?
Mile is one of the historical unit of measurement of length and is equal to 1709.344 meters.
Also, 1 mile= 5280 feet=1760 yards (Yard is another unit of linear measurement. 1 Yard=3 feet.)
The symbol of the mile is mi or m.
The concept of ‘mile’ has been originated from the ‘Roman mile. At that time, one roman mile used to be equal to one thousand paces, where one pace was equal to 5 feet. And thus 5000 Roman feet used to denote one Imperial Roman mile.
After the decades of usage, finally, the international agreement standardized one mile as precisely equal to 1709.344 meters.
Apart from the fundamental unit ‘Mile,’ there are other types of miles too which were mainly popular in the ancient times. These historical miles are
1. Italian Mile- one Italian mile is equal to one Roman mile or mile.
2. Arabic Mile-One Arabic mile lies between 1.8 km and 2.0 km.
3. English mile- One English mile is equal to 1.9 km.
4. Welsh mile-One welsh mile is equal to 3 miles or 6.17km.
5. Scots mile-One scots mile is equal to 1.81 km.
6. Irish mile -1 Irish mile=2.048 kilometers.
7. Dutch mile- 1 Dutch mile= 5 km (approximately).
This unit is used worldwide. But mile is more popular in Liberia, Myanmar, United Kingdom and the United States.
- A mile is a popular unit for the distance measurement.
- Sailors and air navigators use nautical miles which is equal to 1.151 miles.
- It helps in calculating the various geographic miles which are based on the latitudes and longitudes of the earth.
A quick lookup: Conversion table of kilometers to miles
|Kilometer(or Kilometers)||Mile(or Miles)|
Interesting facts to know
- The height of Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world is 0.828 km.
- A Sheppey distance is defined as the closest distance to keep a sheep picturesque. One Sheppey is about 7/8 of a mile.
- There are 63360 inches in a mile.
- The escape velocity (The minimum speed required to overcome the gravitational pull completely) of Earth is equal to 25,000 miles per hour.
|Was this article helpful?|
|Thanks for letting us know!|