Teeth whitening is an effective way of making your smile brighter and whiter. This procedure removes the stains and discolorations of the teeth and lightens the existing shade of the teeth. While there are various choices when it comes to whitening your teeth, one of the latest and most popular choices is laser teeth whitening. (1)
Laser teeth whitening option might be available at your dental clinic, but laser treatment is not for everyone. Unlike hydrogen peroxide whitening, laser teeth whitening cannot be done at home and requires professional help. (2)
Moving ahead, we will see in detail about laser teeth whitening, associated cost, who can go for this method, etc.
Why should you choose a laser whitening treatment?
As teeth whitening is becoming more popular, some cosmetic dentists have begun to use lasers to fasten the chemical reaction of the whitening solution. Results of laser whitening treatment can be seen in just 20 to 30 minutes.
Also, laser teeth whitening process is least invasive. The treatment does not involve any appliance or equipment that can irritate gum like other whitening procedures.
A lot of the whitening products available over the counter for home-based procedures can be very abrasive and damaging to the enamel.
Laser whitening treatment can last for years as it removes old stains, as well as stains which accumulate in your teeth since your last cleaning.
- Also read: What is Laser Periodontal Therapy?
Procedure for laser teeth whitening
In this treatment, your dentist will follow a strict procedure to get the required results. Following are the various steps involved in the laser teeth whitening –
The dentist will examine your teeth before starting with the primary treatment. Your dentist will also see if you have receding gums because the exposed roots are resistant to bleaching.
It is advised that pregnant women and adolescents delay their laser whitening treatment.
In this step, your dentist will clean all your teeth thoroughly and ensure that all the cavities are filled and treated. Otherwise, the whitening paste won’t penetrate in the anterior of the tooth where cavities are present.
Teeth whitening treatment in any form can cause temporary teeth sensitivity. Your dentist may give you some anti-inflammatory medication prior to the treatment to avoid the sensitivity that is caused due to whitening solutions. (3)
The laser whitening
- Initially, the dentist will put a barrier to the gums in the form of a gel to protect the gums from the whitening compound.
- Then your dentist will apply a whitening compound to the front of your teeth with the help of a syringe.
- After application of the whitening compound, a pen-style laser is used to activate the whitening compound, which causes it to foam and lifts the stains away. (4)
- The dentist will leave the compound on the teeth for some minutes after the laser has whitened all the teeth. Then the entire compound is wiped off with a vacuum tool.
- The dentist applies a new layer of the whitening compound after wiping the previous one. This process is repeated 3 times.
Maintenance of teeth after the treatment
The teeth whitening treatment is not permanent. Teeth can be stained again with the use of cigarettes, beverages such as coffee or tea, or certain food products.
You will be expected to follow good oral habits and visit your dentist regularly for the whitening to last for a longer duration.
- Brush and rinse your mouth regularly to prevent plaque formation.
- Avoid Staining Foods and beverages like coffee, tea or red wine.
- Use a straw to avoid the contact between you drink and your teeth.
- Use a tooth whitening paste.
- Avoid using tobacco or smoking.
- Great oral hygiene and routine dental cleanings can prolong your whitening of teeth.
- Brush your teeth immediately after eating staining foods.
Other options for teeth whitening
Laser whitening is safe, but it can cause sensitivity to your teeth due to use of laser and peroxide. Also, the treatment can be very expensive. A single sitting might cost you more than $1000.
Over-the-counter products and professional systems can also achieve teeth whitening. They are available in various forms such as –
- Whitening toothpaste.
- Whitening Mouth rinses.
- Whitening strips.
- The gel used in trays.
- Whitening chewing gum.
- Whitening paint-on gel.
- Whitening Pen.
Teeth whitening is a prevalent cosmetic treatment. It is least invasive and creates a beautiful white smile that enhances your esthetics. Laser teeth whitening is one such method which is quick, safe but can go heavy on your pocket. It typically costs $500 to $2,500 per session.
The longevity of the results from laser whitening sessions can last for years. Dentists always recommend to brush your teeth regularly and use mouthwash to prevent any plaque accumulation and stains from setting on the surface of teeth.
Maintaining good oral hygiene is the key to longevity the results.
|Was this article helpful?|
|Thanks for letting us know!|