Linksys is an American company known for its networking hardware devices. It is one of the most known brands for wired and wireless routers. It manufactures a vast series of broadband routers according to the requirements of home users and also businesses.
All Linksys routers have a built-in web-based setup page that can be used to change settings or reset the Linksys router password. Every Linksys router has a default IP address and password to access the Linksys router setup page.
In this article, we will begin with listing out the default IP address, username and password of the Linksys routers. Also, we will see how to reset the Linksys router and change the default password.
List of Linksys default passwords
There are innumerable models in the Linksys router. On the flip side of the Linksys router, you will see the model number of your router. Note it down and try the default username and password associated with it.
The majority of Linksys routers have a default password of ‘admin’ and a default IP address of ‘192.168.1.1’, but some differ.
These Linksys credentials are needed when doing login to the Linksys router’s web interface to change any settings. Here is the list of Linksys router models and their default username password. Just have a glance!
|Linksys Router Model||Default Username||Default Password||Default IP Address|
What to do when the Linksys credentials are not working?
Did you change the username or password of your Linksys router and forgot it? Or you have no idea how to access the router’s web-based setup page? No worries, you still have a choice, and that is to reset the device to factory defaults.
Reset the Linksys router to Factory Defaults
For most Linksys devices, the factory reset option is pretty much simple to operate.
- Turn on the router. Most Linksys routers don’t have an on/off switch but turn on automatically when you plug it into an outlet.
- After that, press and hold the Reset button for 10 seconds. The Reset button is usually at the back of the router near the power cord, but its location may vary depending on the model.
In case of some old Linksys devices, you may have to press and hold the Reset button for 30 seconds to finish the reset process.
- After that, unplug and re-plug the router’s power adapter into the power socket.
Ensure that the Power LED of the router is blinking when you are pressing the Reset button. It indicates that the router is resetting correctly.
Also, the Power LED of the router will keep on flashing for a few seconds after reset as it is still trying to stabilise. Anyway, if the Power light still is not solid after a minute, power cycle the router.
If you press the reset button, all previous network setting will disappear. Also, it will come back to factory default settings. If you reset your router to its default factory settings, then it will also reset your router’s password.
If that doesn’t work, check your router or other device’s manual where you will find specific advice or suggestion for that Linksys model. You can get your device’s manual in PDF format from Linksys Support webpage
Resetting the Linksys router using the web-based setup page
If the Reset button is not working, you can use another method to reset it. The Web-based interface of the router controls all aspects of the router and can be used to perform a soft reset.
However, you must know the username and password to be able to log in to the interface. If you didn’t set a password, use the default password. Let’s see how to do it.
- Turn on the router and access the router’s web-based setup page by typing 192.168.1.1 in the browser’s address bar.
- It will ask you for the username and password to access setup page. If you didn’t change these values, type admin in the password field and leave the username field empty. Then, click on the OK button to log in to the setup page.
- Click the Administration tab and then click the Factory Defaults sub-tab to view all settings related to the soft reset.
- Under the Factory Defaults tab, click on the Restore Factory Defaults button.
The router reboots automatically, and the Power LED starts to blink. The reset takes around one minute. After reset is complete, reconfigure your router according to your Internet service.
How can I change the Linksys Default password?
You should always change the default password of the router to something unique which is more secure and confidential. To do so, follow the below steps:-
- Open the web-based setup page of your Linksys router.
- Click the Administration tab and then click on the Management sub-tab.
- Under the Management section, enter your new password in the Router Password and Re-Enter to Confirm fields.
- Finally, click on Save Settings.
You should always use a combination of letters and numbers for your router password to be strong. Also, note down the password so that you can access it quickly if you forget it.
All the connected computers to the network will be using the new password when logging in to the router’s web-based setup page.
Also, keep in mind that the router’s administrator Username and Password are not the same as the wireless network name (SSID) and passphrase of your wireless network.
Over to you on Linksys default password list
If you still cannot access your Linksys router with the default password, make sure that you have followed the reset instructions correctly.
Otherwise, it may be that your router is damaged and might need to be repaired or replaced.
Also, always change the default username and password straight away after the factory reset, as the list of default passwords are present all over the web. If somebody manages to connect to your router over the internet, they can apply those credentials to take control of the router.
To prevent this, you can go to your router’s administrative interface and turn off remote management or remote access.
|Was this article helpful?|
|Thanks for letting us know!|