Need a free and open source web browser that works on standard operating systems, like Windows, macOS, Linux, and Android, and are simple to use? Mozilla Firefox can be a good choice! Created in 2002, under the name “Phoenix” by the Mozilla community, Firefox has grown to become one of the most popular browsers of today. But do you know how to download Mozilla Firefox on your system?
The browser of today
If there is someone who is giving sleepless nights to Google Chrome and its popularity, it is Mozilla Firefox. Although Chrome is a big fish in the pond, Mozilla is the only browser that seems to be challenging it with its features and lesser battery exhaustive usage.
With around 1.5 million downloads per day, Firefox is one hot browser that people are seeking.
Getting Firefox on your device is simple.
Download for Windows, Mac, and Linux
It is the best and safest to download Firefox directly from Mozilla’s official download website. It not only assures you a genuine version but also keeps away adware, malware or unwanted applications commonly packaged by third-party website downloads.
- Go to Mozilla’s official download website
- Click on Free Download
- Double-click the downloaded file
- Follow the instructions and install
The Mozilla download site automatically discovers your operating system as you traverse through it and so just clicking “Free Download” option automatically downloads the correct version.
In case you want a different version, click “Download Firefox For Another Platform”, and then choose from Windows 32-bit, Windows 64-bit, macOS, Linux 32-bit or Linux 64-bit.
Get Firefox on your phone
Mobile internet browsing is becoming increasingly popular. The efficiency of this on-the-go browsing through mobile phones is making people switch off their laptops. Mobile browsing has also provided a comfortable surfing experience even for those who can’t access a desktop computer or laptop.
To download Mozilla Firefox on your mobile phone
For Android devices, download Firefox from Google Play. Just launch the Google Play app, and search for Firefox. Click Install. If it is already installed, Google Play displays “Installed.” Once it completes the installation, click Open to start using it.
For iOS iPhones and iPads:
- open the App Store
- search for Firefox
- Click the Get button and then Install
- Enter your iTunes password at the prompt, then click OK
- Once installed, click Open to begin using it.
Firefox automatically updates to the latest version, but you can upgrade it manually if you wish to do so:
- Select the menu button at the top right of the browser.
- Click the Help icon
- Select About Firefox to launch a popup dialogue.
If Firefox is up to date, you will see “Firefox is up to date” displayed under the version number. Otherwise, it will begin to download an update.
- Click Restart Firefox to Update when it displays.
What’s more in Firefox?
One of the primary reasons why Firefox is famed and has the edge over Chrome is that it is highly customizable, allowing you to sync bookmarks and preferences across devices, browse in “silenced” tabs, and much more. That is not it! Firefox also braces a large number of custom add-ons that extend its feature set.
To install add-ons:
- Select the menu button
- Click the Add-ons icon resembling a puzzle piece.
- Click Extensions on the left sidebar
- Enter your search term in the Search all add-ons box
- Click the Install button to install it.
To start right away and get used to the features of Firefox, you can do the following:
- Different people prefer different search engines, and it becomes quite simple to have your preferred search engines as your default one. The default search engine for Firefox is Yahoo. If you prefer another search engine, you can quickly change it.
- Click the magnifying glass in the “Search” box at the top right of the browser
- choose Change Search Settings
- Under Default Search Engine, select the one you want
- Some people use some features more than others. It’s always good to customise your toolbar and fill it with the features you use and remove the unnecessary clutter of those that you don’t frequently use by:
- Select the menu button
- Choose Customize to launch a tab with drag-and-drop toolbar items
- Drag the ones you want to the top toolbar
To remove an item, right-click it and select Remove from Toolbar.