Novocaine or Novocain, also known as Procaine, is a local anesthetic drug that is used in medical and dental procedures like wisdom teeth removal and cavity fillings. Although, this anesthetic drug is considered safe for medical use. In some cases, novocaine side effects are seen such as numbness, tingling sensations, dizziness, bruising of tissue, etc.
Usually, novocaine side effects are of mild in nature and may go away in no time. But in rare cases, there could be serious adverse reactions of novocaine such as convulsions, anxiety, drowsiness, headaches, swelling, etc.
Novocain is the most popular anesthetic drug used in dentistry. (1)
How does novocaine work?
Novocain causes loss of feeling or numbness in the skin and mucous membranes without losing consciousness. While performing dental procedures, the Novocain is injected in the gums or inner cheek to numb the tissue around the infected tooth where the surgery will be performed. The area becomes numb to pain and other sensations.
Novocain stops the nerves in a part of your tooth and gums from sending signals to your brain. Hence you feel no pain at the site of injection for local anesthesia. Novocain acts quickly, but its effect doesn’t last long.
While Novocain is still used but nowadays a more advanced local anesthesia has replaced Novocain called as Lidocaine, which is long lasting and fast acting.
How long does it last?
The effects of Novocain don’t last for long. It is the most short-lived injectable local anesthesia. After the injection of Novocain, its effect starts after 5 to 10 minutes and last till 30 to 60 minutes.
Novocain is mostly used along with epinephrine (adrenaline) to enhance the duration of action as Novocain itself is very short lived. When Novocain is administered with epinephrine, the duration of action of anesthesia is for about 80 to 90 minutes.
Epinephrine acts as a vasoconstrictor. A vasoconstrictor, like epinephrine, constricts the blood vessels and helps to reduce bleeding, increases the duration of anesthesia, prevents the drug from reaching blood circulation in large amounts, and overall reduces the amount of anesthetic required.
Novocaine side effects that are mild
Novocain is usually considered safe to use, but in some cases, it may have some side effects. Novocaine side effects are generally very mild and go away quickly. Some common side effects of Novocain are given below –
- numbness or tingling sensations
- burning sensations after administration of anesthesia
- minor pain around the area of the injection site
- Bruising of tissue
Adverse side effects of Novocain
This rarely happens when Novocain gives very serious side effects, and this mostly happens due to allergic responses. These side effects can be very serious and require immediate medical care. If you are having any one of the following side effects of Novocain, you need to see a doctor –
- An allergic reaction, as Procaine is a local anesthetic drug of the amino ester group, it is frequently involved in allergic reactions like difficulty in breathing and swelling in lips, tongue, or face. (2)
- Depression of neural activity. (3)
- Swelling and redness around the injection site
- Mood swings
- nausea or feeling of vomiting
- twitching of muscles
- loss of consciousness
- Chest pain or irregular heartbeats.
How to detox the body from anesthesia quickly
The after-effects of the anesthesia after the surgery go quickly in some hours but some people are unable to metabolize the anesthetic drug and experience serious side effects like dizziness, nausea, allergic actions.
The ultimate idea of flushing out anesthesia is to make it detoxify in the liver and get it excreted by kidneys. By using several methods quickly after the appearance of the side effects may help to bounce back the anesthetic, like –
- Drinking water – Not having enough fluids or water in your body can make elimination of toxins difficult resulting in some side effects.
- Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) – This plant is most often used for detox of anesthetics from the body as it prevents the depletion of natural antioxidants of the liver which are involved in detoxification.
- Turmeric – It has a substance called curcumin which has detoxifying, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties and enhances the liver function.
- High-potency multivitamin – Start taking high-potency multivitamin and mineral formula before and after taking anesthesia, it has got a verity of nutrients which have anti-oxidants properties required for detoxification and also some nutrients eliminate heavy metals, anesthetics, and other drugs.
Things to keep in mind
Serious side effects can appear from the overdose of Novocain, but the dentist will give you just the calculated amount of Novocain for best results. Using epinephrine along with Novocain reduces the chances of an overdose of Novocain in the body.
Novocain is administered with an injection inside the gums or inside of cheek which can cause a little pain and may make you feel uneasy. After admiration of Novocain, you may feel a burning sensation followed by a tingling sensation.
The Doctor first asks about your medical history before giving you Novocain, you doctors would want to know if you have any liver problems, bleeding or blood clotting problems, a neuromuscular disease such as myasthenia gravis or any other related medical condition.
Over to you on novocaine side effects
Novocaine side effects are mostly mild in nature and may go away on its own quickly. However, do not take Novocain without your doctors or dentist consent. It’s not known if Novocain is harmful to unborn baby.
But if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, then do inform your dentist or doctor before any procedure.