We all wish to get the pearl-like teeth and glowing smile as seen in any commercials or advertisements. You must have searched for many ways to get the bright smile which will boost your confidence. Usually, you go for brushing your teeth twice, applying baking soda on the teeth, changing toothpaste, etc.
Added to this, you must have heard about strawberry teeth whitening. In reality, strawberries do not whiten your teeth. Instead, they help in clearing the debris from the tooth surface, giving the illusion of white teeth.
However, if you mix baking soda along with strawberries then you might get a lighter shade of teeth. Also, there are many other home therapies to brighten your smile. These methods include oil pulling, hydrogen peroxide, charcoal teeth whitening, etc.
The reality of Strawberry teeth whitening
Strawberry is cheap and tasty fruit that is easily available. It is a wrong notion that strawberries can whiten teeth. Research mentions that strawberry cannot work as a whitening agent.
It just helps to remove accumulated plaque and debris from the tooth surface and creates the illusion of whiter teeth.
Strawberry is an antioxidant and contains malic acid, a natural astringent which helps to remove the accumulated plaque from tooth’s surface (1). To make your tooth surface look clean and lighter, you can eat strawberries.
But if you want to make their use for teeth whitening, then you must mix it with baking soda. Here are a few steps that you can follow –
- Crush the strawberries to the pulp.
- Mix the strawberry pulp with baking soda. Blend it properly.
- Apply the mixture on your teeth using soft bristle toothbrush.
- Leave it for 5 minutes.
- Brush your teeth with toothpaste after 5 minutes.
- Do it twice a week. Do not perform it too frequently as the acid content of strawberry can damage the enamel layer of your teeth.
Now onwards, strawberries are not only the part of your dessert, but they can also help to make your teeth look clean and little light in the shade.
Other teeth whitening methods
Following are the home-based therapies which can bleach your teeth and make your smile brighter.
1. Oil pulling
Oil pulling is the traditional method practiced getting rid of many dental issues including discolored teeth. Coconut oil is rich in fatty acid and when the fatty acids come in contact with saliva, they broke down in the tooth whitening enzymes which helps to remove the stains from the tooth surface.
To practice the oil pulling, you should swish the tablespoon full of coconut for 20 minutes without swallowing. You can also try applying the coconut oil on the tooth surface with the help of a toothbrush and then rinse it with water after 15 minutes.
2. Charcoal teeth whitening
Activated charcoal is the best detoxifying agent and also used as the whitening agent. Activated charcoal absorbs stains and bacteria, making teeth whiter. To get the benefits of charcoal, here are a few easy steps that you need to follow –
- Mix the charcoal with a little amount of water.
- Apply the paste on tooth surfaces with the help of toothbrush and leave it for 2 minutes.
- Rinse the mouth with water until all of the charcoal is gone.
Apple cider vinegar contains natural bleaching properties. Rinsing with diluted apple cider vinegar helps in removing the stains from your teeth. You can use apple cider vinegar in the following way –
- Dilute the apple cider vinegar solution with water in 1:3 ratio.
- Mix the diluted solution with your toothpaste.
- Use this toothpaste to brush your teeth.
- Do it twice a week.
Do not overuse the apple cider vinegar as it is hard on your tooth surface. Also, its acidic nature may damage the tooth enamel and lead to tooth demineralization.
4. Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda
You can use the diluted hydrogen peroxide rinse or you can add a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to your toothpaste to derive its benefits (3).
However, for more effective results, try using the mixture of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Follow below steps to know how to use the mix.
- Take one teaspoon of baking powder.
- Add a few drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide to it.
- Mix it properly until the paste forms.
- Apply the mixture on tooth surfaces with the help of toothbrush and leave it for 5 minutes. Thereafter, rinse your mouth with water.
- Do it one in a day for 3-5 days. Then wait for the next four to six months before trying it again.
5. Banana peel
Banana peel is most commonly practiced method to whiten the teeth. Banana is rich in potassium, manganese, magnesium and other minerals.
These minerals get absorbed in the tooth enamel and give the healthy whitening effect. Here is how you should use banana peel –
- After brushing and flossing, take peel of a ripe banana and run it against tooth surface for 2 minutes.
- Rinse and repeat before bed. Do it twice a day until you get the result.
Unfortunately, alone strawberries cannot whiten your teeth. You need to mix it with baking soda to achieve brighter teeth. These days, it has become easy to bleach your teeth at home with the help of various home-based methods.
But it is always advisable to prevent the tooth staining by proper oral care than going for bleaching of your teeth. We often look for quick results especially when it comes to brightening your smile.
But remember, the teeth whitening remedies work best with the time. So, stick to the one method until you get the results.
If you are dreaming of exactly pearly white teeth, then consult the dentist. Home-based teeth whitening methods can make your teeth’s shade lighter but cannot serve your expectations all the time.