Our smile is one of the most valuable assets of our body. As the world is advancing, people are becoming more conscious about the appearance of their smile. Moreover, the yare ready to pay for cosmetic dental procedures to enhance their smile.
Several dental procedures can be used to fix a crooked smile or replace a missing tooth to make the smile symmetrical. Two of the popular cosmetic dental treatments that promote natural-looking smile include veneers and dentures.
Veneers are fixed dental solutions that enhance the health and appearance of front teeth, whereas dentures are used for more comprehensive situations. While there might be some differences between the two procedures, veneers and dentures, have effectively treated several cosmetic concerns depending on the suitability of the patient.
Today’s article will highlight the critical differences between veneers and dentures. Furthermore, we will discuss the benefits of both dental procedures.
What are veneers?
Dental veneers are typical, a thin shell of porcelain or composite that is usually attached to the surface of the front teeth. The main purpose of veneers is to correct the appearance of the smile, making it more natural. Some of the dental problems treated by veneers include –
- Chipped front tooth
- Tooth staining or discolorations (1)
- Crooked teeth that can be treated without orthodontic braces treatment
What are dentures?
Dentures are specially designed dental prosthesis which can be used to replace single or multiple missing teeth in the mouth. It can be made from acrylic or silicone that acts as a denture base that fits the shape of the gums and jaw. Moreover, the denture base has artificial teeth embedded in it to enhance the smile of the patient. (2)
Typically there are three types of dentures available for tooth replacement –
- Removable partial dentures – this type of denture is typically used to replace few missing teeth in the mouth. As the name suggests, this denture can be removed and inserted back into the mouth.
- Removable complete dentures – complete dentures are an excellent solution for the replacement of all the teeth in the mouth. This is typically used by the older population who are not willing to undergo implant therapy.
- Fixed partial dentures – unlike the above two removable dental devices, fixed partial dentures provide a permanent solution to the replacement of one or more teeth in the mouth. It consists of a unit usually of three teeth; the two corner dental crowns take support from the adjacent teeth to replace the missing tooth space with an artificial tooth known as pontic.
What are the benefits of veneers and dentures?
Benefits of veneers
- Easily Fix to enhance the front tooth problems – Veneers are excellent in fixing tooth stains or any imperfections of the front teeth.
- Natural Looking – One of the biggest benefits of veneers is that they look like natural teeth. The shape and color of the veneers can be altered to allow them to match the rest of the teeth in the mouth. (3)
Benefits of dentures
- Durability – Dentures usually have a longer lifespan, which can last over 20 years. Moreover, dentures are less likely to chip as compared to veneers. (4)
- Replacement of missing teeth – dentures are the best option for replacing missing teeth.
- Aesthetics – similar to veneers, dentures also look natural.
What is the difference between veneers and dentures?
Both the veneers and dentures are unique dental devices fabricated to enhance the smile of the patient. There are several differences between veneers and dentures which can be categorized into the following types –
Fixed Vs. removable
Veneers are fixed tooth-colored coatings made of porcelain or resin. It is generally placed over the tooth to improve its shape, color, and size. Veneers do not require any tooth removal. They are mostly used to cover tooth chips, stains, cracks, or to fill gaps between the teeth such as midline diastema. (5)
Dentures, on the other hand, can either be fixed or removable and partial or full. Removable devices can be inserted and take off the mouth by the patient. Usually, dentures contain artificial teeth that are attached to a plastic, gum-colored denture base. It is mainly used to treat missing teeth. Full dentures replace all the teeth in the mouth.
The selection between dentures and veneers usually depends on the condition and associated complications that might occur in the first place. Usually, the long-term implications for the tooth, the gums, and the overall oral health must be taken into consideration.
For example, cracking or chipping of teeth damages the aesthetics of the teeth. However, there can also be more severe complications that might arise without proper dental care. Similarly, Loss of teeth can cause the jawbone to shift, change the facial structure, or even impair the patient’s speech.
All these considerations should be looked into before selecting the best dental procedure.
Cost is one of the prime factors that can alter the decision of a patient. Typically, veneers cost around $900 – $2500 per tooth. whereas the cost of dentures may vary depending on the type of denture used –
- Removable partial denture – $400 – $3000 per tooth
- Removable complete denture – $300 – $3500 per tooth
- Fixed partial denture – $700 – $1800 per tooth
Take away message
Veneers and dentures are two different cosmetic dental treatments. However, they serve the same purpose of enhancing the smile of the patient. Both of these devices are natural-looking and durable. Still, some differences may affect the choice of treatment.
Some of the differences between the two include the type of dental problem, and veneers usually treat chipped or stained front teeth while dentures replace missing teeth in the mouth. Additionally, veneers are fixed solutions, whereas dentures can be fixed or removable devices. Cost also plays a crucial role in determining the best treatment for a patient.
The best way to analyze which treatment is suitable for you is to consider all the benefits and differences of both the dental treatments. A dentist may help you to provide better suggestions on making the right decision.
|Was this article helpful?|
|Thanks for letting us know!|