If you are waking up with dry mouth frequently, then it is not normal. Dry mouth is the condition of reduced saliva production which mostly occurs due to salivary dysfunction.
Other causes might include are dehydration, mouth breathing, use of certain medications, etc.
To manage the dry mouth condition, you should drink plenty of water, keep up with oral hygiene, use dental products that are formulated for dry mouth, etc.
Also, quitting smoking and alcohol, making dietary changes, using sugar-free gums, etc. can help to resolve the condition. Let us move ahead and know more about the dry mouth condition in the morning and ways to deal with it.
What is dry mouth condition?
Dry mouth is a common condition frequently noticed in the morning. If you often suffer from the feeling of stickiness and dryness in the mouth, then you are the victim of dry mouth.
Saliva is the moisturizer and the lubricant of our oral cavity. If there is a lack of saliva in our mouth, then it creates dryness in our mouth and initiates various other dental issues.
Cause of dry mouth when you wake up
The production of saliva can be reduced because of –
- Mouth breathing – Mouth breathers breathe through the mouth instead of their nose. People with mouth breathing habit often sleep with their mouth open which allows the entry of excessive air in the mouth.
The air dries the saliva and reduces the moisture of the oral cavity. Hence, the person suffering from mouth breathing, often wake up in the morning with a dry mouth.
- If you are a denture wearer or use any orthodontic appliance such as bite split, dental retainer, etc., then you are likely to suffer from dryness of mouth in the morning.
- Breathing difficulties – Deviated nasal septum, blocked nasal passage due to sinusitis, maxillary antrolith, etc. dries off the saliva at night and cause dry mouth condition.
Other causes of dry mouth condition in the morning are –
- Salivary gland disorders. (1)
- Emotional stress. (2)
- Hormone-related conditions such as pregnancy, menopause, puberty, etc.
- Chronic medical conditions such as diabetes. (3)
- Radiation therapy for cancer.
- Use of medications such as NSAIDs, antidepressants, etc. (4)
Signs and symptoms
The typical signs of dry mouth are –
- Dry lips and throat in the morning.
- Dryness and stickiness in the mouth and throat.
- Thick, stringy and foamy saliva in the morning.
- Oral mucosal irritation and burning of a mucosa.
- Reddening of the mucosa.
- Difficulty in chewing, eating and speaking.
- Hoarseness of voice.
- Soreness or inflammation of oral mucosa.
- Burning or cracked tongue.
- Bad breath.
- Problem while wearing dentures.
- Waking up in the night with a thirsty feeling.
How to manage morning dry mouth?
Dry mouth often disturbs your sleep and makes your morning bad. Also, if dryness of mouth is not taken care off, then it can damage the oral tissue and create other dental diseases.
Here are some tips for you to manage this condition –
- Drink plenty of water before bedtime. Consumption of water before bedtime will help to reduce the dryness at night.
- You can use dental products, such as toothpaste or mouthwash, specially formulated for the dry mouth condition. These products minimize the effect of dry mouth symptoms and provide relief.
- If you are a denture wearer, then remove your denture before going to bed. Place your denture in denture solution overnight.
- If you breathe through the mouth, try using the nasal strip to make it easier to breathe through the nose.
- After getting up in the morning, always check your mouth for sores and inflammation. Dryness might damage your oral mucosa. Hence, it is better to have a check on oral status regularly.
- Maintain a proper oral hygiene regimen. Good oral health improves the oral health status and reduces the complications arising due to dry mouth.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking reduces saliva production and produces a dry mouth condition.
- Suck on ice cubes.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Chew sugarless gums as these stimulate the salivary gland and increase the saliva production.
- Use room humidifiers to keep the air most. So the air you will inhale will be moist and help to avoid the dry mouth condition.
- Use alcohol-free mouthwash.
- Limit your caffeine intake.
- Make dietary changes to avoid the acidic and spicy food that can exacerbate the condition.
Over to you
Dry mouth in the morning is the unpleasant experience that can be managed with the traditional home therapies. If it is left untreated, then it can lead to chronic illness. Hence, treating the condition and managing the symptoms is essential.
If dry mouth condition does not improve with home care, then it might be associated with some underline medical cause which might need immediate attention.
Visit your doctor immediately as it will be easier to treat the condition in the early stages.