Getting traditional braces is very challenging. But fortunately, there are other viable options available such as Damon braces. (1) The appearance and alignment of your teeth have a significant impact on your life.
A healthy smile can lift your confidence and make you look attractive. If you have crooked teeth or a bad bite, then you may face social and also health-related challenges.
Traditional orthodontic treatment may require removal of healthy teeth or the use of palatal expanders to make space on the jaw. The conventional approach is often uncomfortable and takes longer to show results.
Also, it can leave a narrower arch. On the other hand, Damon braces show better results in less time without causing much discomfort.
What are Damon braces?
Damon braces are self-ligating orthodontic appliances which are named after the doctor who invented them. They work in the same way as traditional metal braces.
But Damon braces work with a slide mechanism that attaches wires to brackets to move naturally with the teeth as they correctly align. They are unlike conventional braces where brackets are tightened and adjusted regularly.
This makes Damon braces more comfortable and attractive. Damon braces usually provide stronger results in a shorter time. (2)
How are Damon braces different from traditional braces?
The most significant difference between Damon Braces and traditional braces is in the brackets. Damon braces use an excellent self-ligating system to enable the archwire to move freely through the brackets and automatically align with the teeth.
In traditional metal braces, the wire is not directly attached to the bracket. The archwire cannot move freely through the brackets and requires continuous adjustments. (3)
Advantages of Damon Braces
- Greater comfort -Brackets present in Damon braces are smaller, smoother and more comfortable than the brackets present in traditional braces. Also, the memory-shape wires present in Damon braces are thinner and more lightweight.
- Less in-office maintenance – Patients with Damon braces need to visit dental clinic almost half as much as for traditional braces which requires regular adjustments and tightening.
- Easier Care – Damon braces do not have ligatures like traditional braces. It is easier to clean them during brushing and flossing while wearing them.
- Appearance – Damon braces consist of clear brackets which make them more aesthetically attractive because they look virtually invisible.
- Damon braces are comparatively comfortable than traditional braces as they apply less pressure on the teeth, which result in less pain.
- It offers less friction, which will prevent you from erosion and deterioration of the teeth which are usually caused by other types of braces.
- According to its design, it has lesser places for plaque and bacteria to build upon the braces. (4)
Damon braces have a high level of customization, along with the low level of friction created by the self-litigating system.
It also straightens the teeth more efficiently and requires less frequent tightening which means fewer office visits and also increased comfort.
They are a great option as they can self-adjust and make the treatment a quicker and comfortable process.
Disadvantages of Damon Braces
- Damon braces can be very irritating to wear for the first few weeks until you get used to them.
- The first few days in Damon braces can be very painful. The pain reduces after a few days, but be prepared for some discomfort in the initial phase.
- Damon system has metal wires that are very much visible to others. So, you can’t get away entirely with the metal-mouth look. However, you can consider the Damon Clear brackets to avoid the metal brackets and minimize the visibility of the braces.
- Damon braces are expensive and cost more than traditional braces.
Cost of the Damon Braces
The cost for Damon braces ranges from anywhere between $3,800 and $8,000 depending on individual cases. Only your orthodontist can correctly determine the cost of braces based on your specific requirements.
Factors that can affect the total price for the Damon braces are insurance coverage, a region of the country, case difficulty, and length of treatment.
Most of the dental insurance plans and flexible spending accounts (FSAs) can provide for your treatment with Damon braces.
You can also ask your orthodontist for a payment plan in installments. These days, many orthodontists do have such plans for the patient’s convenience.
With the advancement in orthodontic technology, the braces have now become better. New types of braces are now available and one of such braces is Damon brace.
Damon braces are the self-ligating braces work by sliding mechanism and move naturally with the teeth as they realigned in the oral cavity. Damon braces will give you a beautifully aligned smile, as comfortably and efficiently as possible
They also deliver faster results regarding straightening and aligning your teeth by using flexible wire. If you are planning to get an orthodontic treatment then Damon braces can be a good choice for you.